Sign in to follow this  
Saul

Headlight unit glass ?

Hi All

I've noticed that the glass lens on the headlight unit seems to be just held on with clips to the rest of the unit ,is it possible to unclip the glass to remove it and replace it with undamaged glass from another unit.

I want to do this as the secondhand unit I bought has some broken plastic clips that hold the unit in place.

Is this possible to do ?

Cheers

Saul

yes it is possible

there should be about 7 metal clips which you pry off CAREFULLY without chipping bits of the lens itself. The glass is sealed against the housing by sticky sponge but comes off quite easily once the clips are removed

Glass apertures are indetical.... it's the depth that differs between late and early.

I made that mistake :oops:

On a late car, an early glass sticks in too far and the grill and headlight surround stick out like a sore thumb!

Only ask because the glass on mine looked different (possibly different makes? or jus one had been replaced n lookd brighter in glass colour?) and now i need to replace a broken passenger one.

If i bought a pair of late ones they should both fit and look right on my early lights?

Sorry if it seems im asking the same question over... but i need to keep both early units and buy new early lens or buy late units and fit late lenses?

Sorry if it seems im asking the same question over... but i need to keep both early units and buy new early lens or buy late units and fit late lenses?

You can do either, one option will cost more than the other...late units are £100 each from VW but do come with lenses