Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

Proper Fuel setup for twin webers

Hello guys

a mate of mine wants to put his twin webers on this weekend and its on a 1.8 8v driver engine, so mecahnical fuel pump.

He has already been told he might have to change to electric carb fuel pump but that doesnt bother him

what we need to know is does he need to but a regulator on there???

and does he have to get rid of the vapor pot sitting at the front of the engine????

or is he ok just going straight from the mech pump to the carbs???

Thanx in advance

I would have thought the twin webers would be OK with the mechanical pump if the rest of the engine is standard? If he intends on putting aggressive cams in and flowing the head etc, then more fuel would be required.

If you do end up using a facet electric pump, you could always fit one of those FSE boost valve things and send the fuel return back down the stock route and take a vacuum off the carb somewhere?

Sorry, not really up on carb engines anymore!

sadly his engine is tuned hence why he has gone down the twin carb route

he has had the head work done and has a 258 cam in there from those lovely people Schrick :D

so im gussing he has to go down the electric fuel pump route??

I think it would be a good idea! You don't have to use a facet though. Any old MK2 GTI or 16V pump will do and the brackets etc on the boot floor should be there, but that would mean using the lift pump + external pump arrangement.

Or you could use a MK1 GTI pump.....

Do carbs use FPRs? I thought they just had a fuel feed into the carb float chamber and any excess was fed straight back to the tank?

258 sounds like a nice profile.... I'm getting my Shrek 268s fitting in September and I've recently discovered the standard VR cams are something like 214 :shock: Bad idle and no torque, hear we come :D

well considering a new facet pump only set you back about £35 and the scrappy wants that for a standard unit at the back i think he would prefe going for the pacet :)

also i cant see anywhere on the carbs for the fuel return pipe hence why im guessing you need it

no no fuel injector

see on the standard system it goes from

Tank-Fuel pump-Vapour Seperator-Carb

Carb then has a line out

Carb-vapour seperator-pressure regulator-back to fuel tank

What most people do is just leave the vapour seperator T piese the fuel line going to the carb with the return line and leave it that way as the webbers dont have a line out

but thats to messy

have a look :-

http://www.elcats.ru/audivw/vag5.asp?su ... 00&cid=110

Oh yeah I forgot about the fuel pot (I used to have a CL) - Part 15 - that is basically the fuel rail which I was referring to. In other words a constant supply of fuel the carb/injectors draws from and the excess is fed back to the tank. Well sorted then, just stick your £35 Facet on and hook it up to that fuel pot.....should work shouldn't it?

No me neither, it's like the blind leading the blind, LOL!

ur telling me lol

also noticed how no one else is joining into our conversation lol

they must think where nuts :roll: :lol:

nuts? where? (think you mean we're! ;) )

I'd join in, but I've not set carbs up since I worked on Beetles.... and then I wasn't very good at it, that's why I like fuel injection.... 8)