Sign in to follow this  
boab

where can i pick up a starter motor?

also does it to be a specific one? or can i use one from a golf? or other vw or other car

Euro-Car-Parts do them(well for the mk2 GTI 16v) for £65+VAT.....Glasgow branch is Oakbank Ind Est,Garscube Road 0141 331 0332

and am i better to buy t brand new then? i plan on getting the engne all fixed up and few mods while im away in cyprus

and am i better to buy t brand new then? i plan on getting the engne all fixed up and few mods while im away in cyprus

well tbh given the not too drastic £80-ish its gonna cost from Euro-car-parts etc......and the fact u plan keeping the valver a bit longer......if i were you i would buy new :wink:

I would agree. The copper current strap that goes from the solenoid to the starter is a non-repairable item (except in a factory refurb), and they corrode over time. For the extra £50 over a 2nd hand one, I'd say it's well worth getting a new one.

would a mk2 golf gti starter fit to the car?

it should but before parting with yer cash get someone with ETKA to cross-reference the part numbers :wink:

deffinetly buy new,my mate works for partco and sell refurbed starter motors and they call them boomerangs because they keep coming back :lol:

Bosch refurbs are ok tho - don't worry about those. They basically retain the same casing and replace all the bushes, windings, bearings, cables etc etc. The casing is acid cleaned and repainted. Can't comment on other manufacturers..

I've got the Bosch refurb one from GSF on my G60 now and it's spot on...

The G60 one has a different part number from any of the other models, but I don't know what the difference is.... :|