Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Dead VR, fuel pump Problem, please read.

Update: Its definately a fuel pump problem, skip to next page to see the next problem. :mad:

To cut a long story short my car isnt starting. Its getting a spark ok but the fuel pump isnt making any noise with the ignition switched on, car turns over ok.

Ive had a multimeter on the plug at the fuel pump. Theres 4 wires.

1 thick wire - earth

1 thin wire - switched, gets 10 volts with the ignition on

1 thin wire - dunno what this one is, stayed at 0v during testing.

1 thick wire - this is whats confusing me, I thought this would be a main power feed but it isnt getting any power. I started thinking maybe the immobiliser isnt disarming so I tried running my amp wire from the battery on to this, fuel pump still didnt kick in.

Im thinking fuel pump, but it seems strange that theres no power on that second thicker wire. The fact theres no power says to me immobiliser, but everything else seems ok and theres been no issues with the alarm or immobiliser.

Another possibility would be crank position sensor, but would the car still turn over and get a spark?

I dont think theres anyone local with vagcom so if no-ones got any ideas I think its one for a garage, or risk spending £100 on a fuel pump that may not need replaced.

Dunno, never tried, left the car at my work as its an indoor carpark and good for working on cars so cant check just now. Forgot to mention though, fuse 18, for the fuel pump doesnt seem to have any power across it either.

Sounds like your immobiliser then, try the other key?

Crank position sensor failure would still prime the fuel pump, so I doubt it's that.

See I thought if it was the immobiliser it wouldnt even turn over, or it sounds like the cars usually start then cut out. Mine started ran for a bit, started misfiring then cut out. It restarted once or twice but died immediately. Now it doesnt start at all. Unfortunately my other key wouldnt start the car since I bought it.

Now cps, if that has failed would the ecu not cut power to some circuit, fuel pump or coilpack so that the car wouldnt start? Or would it just shutdown completely?

It may be that the CPS is marginal, and worked for a while but now doesn't, but I doubt it. I'd be more inclined to think it's the immobiliser, tbh.. :(

It all depends what circuits the immobiliser operates on, but it wouldn't be unusual for it to immobilise the fuel pump circuit. Good fitters try to avoid using the immobiliser to kill obvious circuits like the starter and stuff. (Well it makes sense, doesn't it? Kill the starter and they've just got to bump start the car.)

Ok, just been to check the spoiler. It works fine, this made me think that its definately the fuel pump but I also removed fuse18 (which is the fuel pump fuse according to the fuse panel cover) and the spoiler still works. So this means, on my car at least the spoiler fuse is different from the fuel pump.

I'll go back down tommorow and remove the steering column cowling to see if the key sensor ring thing has slid down the column as it does sound like an immobiliser problem. It puzzles me though that I couldnt get the fuel pump to kick in with a direct feed?

. It puzzles me though that I couldnt get the fuel pump to kick in with a direct feed?

Hmm I must have missed that bit!!!

Well if you are sure about the wiring, that is, then that would definitely suggest the pump is dead. You didn't seem sure about which wire was which though..

I`d go with the immobiliser theory,my Golf Vr6 had the same symptoms lots of trial and error eventually found a stripped wire under the rear seat causing an earth,therefore no fuel pump and no starting :(

My cps recently went, fuel pump still primed though but dint get no spark.

Vince said it was either CPS or sometimes relay in postion 3 (the one with 109 on it) that gave problems.

Probley an immobiliser though, damm things.

. It puzzles me though that I couldnt get the fuel pump to kick in with a direct feed?

Hmm I must have missed that bit!!!

Well if you are sure about the wiring, that is, then that would definitely suggest the pump is dead. You didn't seem sure about which wire was which though..[/quote:8ab7a]

Im not too sure about the wiring, basically theres 4 pins on the pump. 2 thick ones, one of which is definately an earth, and 2 thin ones, one of that is definately a switched.

If I earth the pin I know is definately the earth and put a power feed on to the other thick pin nothing happens, im just confused to what the other pin is for.

Hmm, just seen the fuse for the fuel pump is the same fuse for the lambda probe. I wonder if something was disturbed or shorted when my decat was fitted on tuesday.

Well I hope you sort it easily but I have a fuel pump off a 93L reg VR6 if you want it - £55 inc postage - bought it but found that my problem was that existing one was loose in the tank and actually nothin wrong - it was the sender I thought i needed anyway. PM me if interested.

oxfordpaul, thanks for the offer, but its the kind of component that if ive got to replace it id rather get a new or uprated one.

Ive just found out, the thin wire I wasnt sure about is for the fuel gauge.

so ive got:

Earth - Ok

Fuel Gauge - Ok

Switched power - Ok

Thick wire, red with yellow stripe - Not sure, got to be some sort of power feed but when should it be on? cause it aint coming on with the ignition.

Anyone with a vr fancy sticking a multimeter on it for me? :wink:

is the engine turning but not firing up at all?.............did it just come to a stop whilst driving or did it not restart when it had been parked up?

Mine started ran for a bit, started misfiring then cut out. It restarted once or twice but died immediately. Now it doesnt start at all.

Copied from above. :wink:

i assume this was it running on what little fuel was left in the lines, and when that was gone thats when it started cutting out.

Im starting to lean more towards the pump than immobiliser, according to Vortex the red/yellow stripe wire only gets power when the engine is turning over/running. this I couldnt check myself, will try it tommorow.

This means that the pump should prime with just the switched wire, that is working, but my pump aint so it must be gubbed.

Mine started ran for a bit, started misfiring then cut out. It restarted once or twice but died immediately. Now it doesnt start at all.

Copied from above. :wink:

i assume this was it running on what little fuel was left in the lines, and when that was gone thats when it started cutting out.[/quote:8693b]

well sounds to me to be exactly what was wrong with mine last October......i too thought it was the immobiliser but a VW head tech told me that it wouldn't have cut out while it was running

so new fuel pump time m8 :wink:

I presume you checked fuse 16 as well??

I never specifically checked it, but the manual says thats for warning lamps, spoiler and some others. I had to get a tow so the warning lamps were on and working fine, I also checked the spoiler above and its ok.

It was actually my first thought as soon as it happened. And I could swear it seemed noisier after a trip to Elgin the other week.

Not too bad if it is, I phoned ECP earlier and they have 1 in stock, day off tommorow too so should hopefully be sorted pretty quick. 8)

It was actually my first thought as soon as it happened. And I could swear it seemed noisier after a trip to Elgin the other week.

Not too bad if it is, I phoned ECP earlier and they have 1 in stock, day off tommorow too so should hopefully be sorted pretty quick. 8)

chances are its the original..............so near on 10 years/100+k miles aint bad :wink:

Ok, ive got the new fuel pump and hit a problem. The old pump I removed is a big heavy meaty looking thing, i cant see any markings on it but the top cover says VDO.

The new pump is a lightweight weedy looking thing and my fuel gauge thing that I unclipped from the old one doesnt fit on it. :mad:

Have I been given the wrong pump? Or is it a case of its been updated and ill need to get a new fuel gauge sender?