Sign in to follow this  
doof

Whats the highest ouput (BHP) you can get out of a g60?????

Was just wondering how far you can take the output of a G60? Whats your G60 Pushing??? :?:

Depends how long you want the engine to last... I've seen lots of people claim 200+, 220 in some cases.

Ask the guys running 1.8Ts with 350+ bhp how long the engine lasts when you exercise that kind of power...

the question in reply to this one is "how reliable do you want the car to be?"

If you stick a REALLY small pulley on it, you can get huge BHP figures out of an otherwise standard engine, but it won't last very long before either needing a rebuild or simply blowing up the charger.... :|

I got 219.5BHP with 199.8LbFt outta my G60 at the rolling road session at Stealth recently, although I found out this weekend that those figures were with the cam 1 tooth retarded... Now that's sorted I can FEEL the difference when driving the car (so did Jim! ;) :lol: ) so I have no idea what kinda power it's kicking out now, but it's definately more than that! 8)

I know Struan (BigeastsideG60) got 240ish BHP outta his G60 with around 190LbFt torque not too long ago, and Daz (G-man) got 213BHP with 236LbFt torque just with some charger work on a standard engine! :o That's a whole shed load of the twisty stuff from a standard engine... 8)

as far as i am aware if the engine is set up correctly then it should cause no premature wear?? Dont understand why 220bhp through a G60 engine will break it ?? Dr mat ?

I understand the G60 standard head is unable to flow more than 250bhp but there are a fair few g60's with 220 odd bhp.

So what kinda 0-60 times are these beast kicking out!! I allready own a 1.8 16v but me and a mate are looking to inves in a G60 Project car as a demo for the tuning company hes got on the way!!!!!!!

If you're putting over 200 lbft out, then you're pushing probably 300 lbs of FORCE through the piston, conrod and crank. Not to mention the in-cylinder pressures that cause the head gasket to blow out. (Back of fag-packet maths, by the way, don't quote me on that.)

The standard engine is designed to last 100k+ miles on 160lbft. Things break when you stress them.

Of course, if you replace all the engine internals, you're really talking about a different engine... The block is strong, true enough! :)

And as Henny says, the charger is doing insane RPM with really small pulleys, so that will destroy it's bearings before it's time too.

It's a balance...

i appreciate the charger is weak especially if a v small pulley is used but I understood the engine is very tough and the pistons etc could handle this power

This sounds like a thread for G-Man.

Ask Darren what he's expecting from the X-Flow. You'll be surprised, that's what route I'm going down :D

doof, 0-60 times on a G60 are seriously hampered by a crap 2nd gear meaning you need 3rd to hit 60... I got my gearbox rebuilt using a VR6 1st and 2nd gear so that 2nd is longer (hits about 64 now) so managed a measured 7.02 seconds 0-60 in the wet at Bruntingthorpe yesterday... I could probably get it a bit quicker in the dry now that I know how my car handles and reacts a little better now... 8)

A normal G60 box would have added on 1 or 2 seconds to that time... :|

To be honest i've not heard of many G60's holeing pistons or snapping the crank or anything, so I think that is all pretty sturdy... charger is usually the weak point, and if thats been suitable uprated then the sky is the limit! :)

Henny - as my 9.5 second 0-60 time will testify :(

Apart from the crank bolt, the G60 engine is strong as an Ox. All VW engines are inherently. It's just abuse and excessive modding that wrecks them.

The G60 engine can develop 200 pounds and deliver it all day long with no adverse effects. It's only 30 more foot/pound up on a healthy and standard engine (Superchargeds gave 170bhp and 170lb/ft in standard trim - with the flattest dyno curve I've ever seen!).

Considering the G60 engine is a direct descendant of the Rallye engine (built for well over 250bhp), I think you're just being a prophet of doom for the sake of it Matt. Tuners have been tweaking G60s since the 90s, so I think they are aware of the pitfalls and kno what they're doing.

I've heard of quite a few G60s needing new conrod bearings or big end bearings though.

I only go by what I've heard on this forum, to be honest. I knew pretty much nothing about the G60 till I started reading on here about the Corrado... And I'd already bought my VR6 by then..

yeah, true dr_mat, the bottom end bearings do take the brunt of it and so do wear, but that tends to be when the car's got some fairly big milage on it (most other makes of car need a damn site more than a set of shells at 100K miles + !)

With the cost of the shells being well under £100 for genuine VAG ones, and it only being a couple of hours job to do, I don't count this as a big flaw to modding a G60 engine... 8)

The only holed pistons I've heard of on G60s are due to dead sensors and crap fuelling, not power output related problems...

Henny, so is it possible to get a g60 running quicker 0-60 times than a VR6? and what kinda outputs can you get out of a VR? i know there about 190bhp stock and should do a 0-60 in about 6.5 right??

I know, it's just that that argument can run and run, and it's always exactly the same points coming up! :)

FYI, you're right, VR 0-60 is "around 6.5", with 190bhp stock.

Don't worry about it doof... the "Which is better - G60 or VR6" debate comes up on a nearly weekly basis and always ends up getting a little hairy.

Yes it is possible to get a G60 running quicker than a VR6.. but its just a question of what kind of engine and power delivery style you prefer.

My mate's just built a Mk1 2.0 G60 Golf - uses a forged EIP Tuning crank, Ross Pistons, Eurospec flowed head, Schrick cam, Rallye i/c, brand new (0 miles) G-Lader taken out to R1 spec, samco hoses, now with toothed belt pulley kit, uses a 16v box with Quaiffe diff. Engine built by Stealth and awaiting Geoff Everett? from AMD to map it as it's still being run in but owner is hoping for 250bhp+ and similar torque at least?..........(fingers crossed)..... 8)

Stealth have built such a beast before and I drove it :lol: Exact same spec but less the Eurospec big valve/port head and this one ran a chargecooler instead of an IC. It was still under development when I drove it 3 or so years ago but it was 240bhp with 238ft/lb torque and felt fast as hell. Way, way more torque low down than an 1800..... seriously, it's wanting to rip the tyres up as soon as you let the clutch up. Have never felt anything like that in an 1800..... but anyway, yeah it's a fantastic engine. If a proper IC was used, I suspect it would have delivered considerably more......

The Ross pistons make a hell of a racket when cold though!

K

at the end of the day a good mk1 16v will do the lot of us as i used to in mine power to weight is the key and power without control is pointless

cheers dale :oops:

I used to have a MK1 16V with 154 bhp and it certainly wouldn't 'do' my VR6. Lively in the lower gears sure, but flat as a fart in the higher gears and when off the cam.

Yeah he did many moons ago, in a MK1. That had the Eurospec head with 50mm (16V size!) exhaust ports and VW Motorsport charger with toothed drive, plus a whole load of other bits and peices that he either made himself or had specially made..... it was a true one off build.