Sign in to follow this  
davebirl

VR6 cuts out - electrical problem?

Guys,

Has anyone seen a diagnostic print out like this?

00515 029

Hall Sender -G40

Short to earth

sporadic

00545 029

Engine/gearbox electrical connection

Short to earth

Sporadic

17978 P1570 035

Engine control unit disabled

sporadic

00532 007

Supply voltage

Signal too low

Sporadic

00513 003

Engine Speed Sender -G28

no Signal

My VR6 is likely to cut out at random anytime. It used to start first go but yesterday it wouldn't start for love or money! After 30mins of trying she jumped in life purring just right. Could drive 100miles no problem and all of a sudden cuts out without a flutter or warning.

Could it be a faulty G40 Hall Sender?

I have already replaced the G28 sender but same thing happens I have checked all engine earths and they are ok.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Dave Beirne - Sick 95 VR6

Sure enough, I'm aware of that one thanks.

AFAIK if you check it with VAG-COM and the engine is off then you will ALWAYS get G28 flashing up

Some time ago my Passat suffered something similar, and it was diagnosed as a faulty fusebox. I was sceptical; the fusebox itself consists of a plastic moulding and lots of copper bars with no moving parts, and it cost nearly £200. All I can say is that the car was back to full operation after the transplant. Your problem may have a similar cause.

Best wishes

RB

Roll on the bad news eh? Thanks Roger, will take a look at it this evening. See if its loose etc.

Some time ago my Passat suffered something similar, and it was diagnosed as a faulty fusebox. I was sceptical; the fusebox itself consists of a plastic moulding and lots of copper bars with no moving parts, and it cost nearly £200. All I can say is that the car was back to full operation after the transplant. Your problem may have a similar cause.

Best wishes

RB

First things first, supply voltage too low - if the ECU isn't getting a full voltage then all bets are off as to the validity of the remaining errors.

Double check the fuses and relays for the ECU. The sensors themselves don't run through the fuse board, they are connected directly via the engine wiring loom to the ECU.

Battery is putting out 13.5+ volts no problem. Where are the fuses and relays for the ECU? Are they with the standard fuses etc under dash on the drivers side?

Could a faulty G40 Sender cause the engine to shut off "Sporadically"?

Thanks all

First things first, supply voltage too low - if the ECU isn't getting a full voltage then all bets are off as to the validity of the remaining errors.

Double check the fuses and relays for the ECU. The sensors themselves don't run through the fuse board, they are connected directly via the engine wiring loom to the ECU.

Yeah, the fuses/relays for the engine are under the dash. Can't tell you which relay numbers to check out, but it's got to be worth the tenner for a new relay first.

"hall sender" wouldn't cause the engine to shut off, but would stunt your performance significantly. "engine speed sensor" could definitely cause the problem, but you'd have to VAGCOM it with the engine running to see..

Sounds like a rat has been chewing through the main wiring harness (right of block, large round connector). Not literally obviously, but check all the wiring looms for obvious signs of chaffing / breakages etc.

ECU disabled. Now that is not a good error to get, definitely sounds supply voltage related as Matt said.

The ECU relay is 109 and worth changing. Also worth a look is the load induction relay in the fuse board but I can't remember what number that is....

Nice one guys, Removed relay 109 and it does have some corroison!!!!!! :-P

My local VW mates had a new one in stock and all, when mentioned to them they laughed knowingly and mentioned problems with earlier Passats.

I ran the car and then disconnected the relay 109 and low and behold is says

00545 029

Engine/gearbox electrical connection

Short to earth

Sporadic

17978 P1570 035

Engine control unit disabled

sporadic

I am going to test the car out for the next week and see how I get on. I will come back and let you guys know.

I have really found this to be the best damn forum on the web for help and advice. And its good when people come back and tell what has corrected their issues. Too many sites out there without the final solution been posted. Pesky Americans :lol:

Thanks all for your help!

VR6 has been on test for just over two weeks now and since I have replaced engine relay 109 it hasn't cut out once!!! :lol:

If the webmaster wishes to close up this thread he may go right ahead.

Big thanks again to everyone and especially to kevhaywire and dr_mat.