Sign in to follow this  
Ford

VR6 vs CLK 320???

Yes both the Golf and Corrado VR6 have the same 3.39 diff. The SLC gets a 3.61 diff, which is also what the UK one needs too and which will almost certainly be going in mine when the box expires.

K

I can definatly get 70 in second in mine and 115 in third, does anybody else think thieir vr6 feels quiker than 17.7 secs to 100, mine always has.

Also does anybody know what the 60-100 time for the vr6 is, i timed it once at about 8.5 secs with a stopwatch, (sad i know) which i know is prob innacurate, what does the fiat coupe 20vt do this in and has anyone ever raced one out of intrest, cheers :mrgreen:

...the Fiat will wave you goodbye in it's rear view mirror m8.

I have driven my mates old one and it was DEFINATELY quicker than our dear VR6s - he now has a 911turbo.

Yup the Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo is an animal and will upset many a VR6 owner.... until it gets to the corners that is :lol:

the rust coupe tinny mchairdryer? please, that won't do anything to a VR, it might stay along side it up to 60 (6.5 also) then the wheels will fall off! :p

Try it and find out - it will wipe the floor with the VR6 unless the VR has some trick goodies under the bonnet... the Coupe is actually built very well and dont rust either as they have galvanised panels!!!

:-P

Yep. I have a friend with a Fiat 20V and have driven it on a number of occasions, I can confirm that it would definitely leave the VR (even schrick'd up) on a straight road. It delivers more torque but, more importantly from much lower down (228lb/ft at just 2,500rpm!).

The VR has a definite advantage through the corners though.

biggerbigneil, if you have first-hand experience of beating a Fiat Coupe, the driver either wasn't trying or the car was the non-turbo version!

Yep. I have a friend with a Fiat 20V and have driven it on a number of occasions, I can confirm that it would definitely leave the VR (even schrick'd up) on a straight road. It delivers more torque but, more importantly from much lower down (228lb/ft at just 2,500rpm!).

The VR has a definite advantage through the corners though.

biggerbigneil, if you have first-hand experience of beating a Fiat Coupe, the driver either wasn't trying or the car was the non-turbo version!

yeah totally agree with you there emax the Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo is indeed one fast mutha.........in a straight line and a C VR6 will be hard pushed to match it................on a straight :wink:

well i'll shut up then! The following links give 0-60 times similar to the VR as do the top speeds,

http://www.live2cruize.com/fiat.htm

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1998@$Fia ... Plusg.html

fair enough I am no fan of any Fiat. Only had mine a couple months and had good races with an S2000 and RX8. I haven't raced a Fiat Coupe Turbo as only see old fat people driving them, but if any of you have first hand experience I'll take your word for it! they are dam ugly though

Yep but the Coupe has 220lb ft at 2500rpm!!! :shock:

0 - 100mph in 14.5 secs.... thats a 14 - 14.7 sec quarter mile then....

Only had mine a couple months and had good races with an S2000 and RX8. I haven't raced a Fiat Coupe Turbo as only see old fat people driving them, but if any of you have first hand experience I'll take your word for it! they are dam ugly though

Yes, the S2000 is a closer bet than the peak figures would suggest on paper. I had a similar experience. But look at the power/torque and where it arrives:

240@8300 ( bhp / rpm )

153@7500 ( lb / ft )

So, the car only produces any significant go if the revs are up in the VTEC zone. It must be pretty easy to get caught out with the engine off the boil if you weren't ready.

Never encountered an RX8 but, again, quite a peaky engine which wouldn't come near a VR in terms of flexibility:

231@8200 ( bhp / rpm )

155@5500 ( lb / ft )

Ask Kieron - he's just bought a CLK and had a VR before (with 230 odd bhp!)

Ha! Can't believe its taken so long to see this! :lol:

For what its worth the CLK 320 in a straight line leaves the VR6 for dust in every department. Standing start or on a motorway the VR6 will be left with nothing to see other than the rear of the Merc.

Around the twisties though it's a completely different story. The VR6 would be sniffing up the bum of the CLK. The VR6 can brake way later and carry more speed through a corner. Once out the corner and on to a straight the VR6 would be left behind again assuming the CLK driver hasn't pulled over to change his pants after going through the corner!

Incidentally anyone thinking of getting a CLK320 - don't! £1200 each service so far too. Merc build quality is awful and thats not just about perception and expecting such a high standard but I drove a MK4 Golf the other day and its put together better than a W208 CLK.

sorry i cant believe for a second that a clk320 would wallop a VR as my mum has a 2001 cabriolet 3.2 clk and its really not that fast

crap pic but its in the far left!

s1.jpg

Agreed, James at Audioscape has a CLK320, think it's an X or Y reg or something (personalised plate on it). His is an auto and the bottom end torque is superb, but there is no way on earth it would scalp a VR. The manual CLK might though, but they're a lot heavier than a VR Corrado and yeah the handling. Hmmmm. James's drove OK on the standard 16s but he went and ruined it with 18" AMG rims.....now he wants to lower it for the reasons Keiron pointed out, they're sheeeite round the twisites....major understeer, especially on Toyo T1-Ss, LOL!

The SLK320 is pretty quick though (old shape), mine defo struggled with one of those in a straight line (when standard) but they're even worse than the CLK round the bends, LOL!

yeah old lil has the standard 16 inch amg's with i think pirellis or continentals and she doesnt really give it any but my dad gives it a bit of stick and its fairly wallowy through the corners and thats with it not on the limit so i can defo imagine the traction breaking when you really give it some kev.

and also like you say its an automatic and the intial kick down power is very impressive after thats its just smooth and doesnt feel quick! does its job though and cruises well at 100 on the motorway with little noise for a convertible!

very luxurious cars though and easily fit 4 adults in unlike most convertibles!