Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Corrado production/distribution

Anyone know where all the Corrados went?

Karmann's website shows a total of 97,521 Corrados were built.

I seem to remember from somewhere that a total of 9000 were sold in the UK (might be wrong - as it supposedly sold best in the UK???) so where did all the others go???

Presumably Germany got a lot, and North America got a few, but has anybody else seen any figures from VW to show where the remainder went???

I did try and extract this information from Milton Keynes once and they kindly informed me they were unable to divulge such information. So the only way you can find out is through a dealer (they must have access to a centralised sales database) or through global clubs etc.

I've also heard 9000 came to the UK, which sounds about right as 4000 came here by 1991, so a remaining 5000 from 92 to 96 sounds feasible. The Corrado never was a big seller in the UK. Whether that was down to VW deliberately throttling UK designations (happens a lot) or the car not attracting enough buyers remains to be seen, but either way, it's a good thing imo as it retains a level of exclusivity for us lucky owners :lol:

Brits have always been taken for a ride by the Germans and the dealers seem to go along with it. Classic example being the early MK4 GTI. The rest of the world got the turbo engine and the UK got the weedy 2.0 8V. Such and equipped car over the pond was badged a GL. So why do we have such loyalty toward VW when they treat us like a bunch of thick idiots ?

The remaining 88,479 of them must have therefore gone to the US/Canada and Europe.

Kev

94 VR6

I've also heard 9000 came to the UK, which sounds about right as 4000 came here by 1991, so a remaining 5000 from 92 to 96 sounds feasible. The Corrado never was a big seller in the UK. Whether that was down to VW deliberately throttling UK designations (happens a lot) or the car not attracting enough buyers remains to be seen, but either way, it's a good thing imo as it retains a level of exclusivity for us lucky owners :lol:

Yeah that bit's the good bit :) Or PITA when looking for spares at the scrappy... :(

Brits have always been taken for a ride by the Germans and the dealers seem to go along with it. Classic example being the early MK4 GTI. The rest of the world got the turbo engine and the UK got the weedy 2.0 8V. Such and equipped car over the pond was badged a GL. So why do we have such loyalty toward VW when they treat us like a bunch of thick idiots ?

But didn't we get "treated" to the Storm special edition whereas the rest of the world got left out :?: :?: :?:

I reckon they had a load (about 500!) of RHD parts left, 2000 BBS Solitudes and a load of unused Mystic Blue/Classic Green paint + leather interiors to get rid of... :) :wink: :wink: and the rest is history...

The remaining 88,479 of them must have therefore gone to the US/Canada and Europe.

Kev

94 VR6

Hmmmm, maybe we'll never know exactly where.......

But didn't we get "treated" to the Storm special edition whereas the rest of the world got left out :?: :?: :?:

I reckon they had a load (about 500!) of RHD parts left, 2000 BBS Solitudes and a load of unused Mystic Blue/Classic Green paint + leather interiors to get rid of... :) :wink: :wink: and the rest is history...

Exactly my point Stormseeker! The oldest trick in the book is to badge up a dying model as something special. The rest of the world would no doubt have seen through it. The UK is a sucker for limited editions and some are applied at the dealer! As nice as the Storm is, it's not anything significant over a normal VR6 and apart from the Storm badges, the other items could have been specified as options. The Solitudes are off the Golf Highline, so not unique to the Corrado and limiting the paint choices to two is cheaper and easier in terms of production. I dunno, maybe I'm just too cynical but it's only money to VW and they will use their best tactics to get it. They just know (from history) that the UK is an easy market to exploit.

Kev

94 VR6

Do you reckon Quentin "Count Dracula" Wilson took a back-hander from VW to build up the "it's a future classic..." feeling. Hee Hee Hee.

they did sell fairly well over here, moreso in the states than in canada. prices are generally a little higher for a similar corrado in canada than in the states due to exclusivity. i have no idea, but i wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 25,000-30,000 of them on this continent.