Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Running in

Well after a year of C ownership and 10K miles in five months (it's been f'ked for the rest of the year) I've now got to the very bottom of my problems (lol it's a corrado!!!) We have done the head work - new chain, tappets, belts etc and it was still not right so had to look deeper and then discovered that the timing marks on the crank didn't line up! So this was stripped that down to find that there was so much wear to the crank pulley and crank shaft that they both needed replacing - combined they made the timing on the crank 4 teeth out!!! (C's with 5 previous owners have deffo been thrashed) The price for a new crank from VW is £400 :shock: so we looked at other options and have decided to go for a complete bottom end which is only £700!!! Once this is fitted it's going to be virtualy a new engine (and a big bill :( )

I know that after all this it will need to be run in (recomended 1K miles by the garage) but when they say run in what can't I rev it over? I'm assuming it shouldn't go over 3K in the revs - is that right? And also if anyone has any other recomendations of things to do to that'll help it along then that'd be appreciated too....

Cheers

Phil

it's more about Torque than revs... avoid full throttle entirely....

My way of bedding in engines tended to be:

upto 1000 miles, less than 50% throttle and less than 40% max revs with an oil change at 500 and 1000 miles to get rid of any swarf...

upto 3000 miles less than 75% throttle and 65% max revs. Oil change at 3000.

upto 5000 miles less than 80% max revs and try not to boot it all the time! :lol: Oil change at 5000.

past then, drive as normal with oil changes every 5 or 6K miles.... 8)

If I had the luxury of a brand new motor, unlikely, I would just get in and drive it. Wait til the water and oil are to temp and then use as normal. Driving up long hills from lowish revs in 4th up to say 5000. And repeating several times is one theory I have read about. I'll post a link when I find the site again.

Dribbling about for a 1000 miles at 70 on a motorway is definately not the way to do it.

Don't be surprised if it runs hotter than before, like Henny was, everything is dead tight to start with. It may take a couple of thou to slacken off initially.

I like Hennys oil change theory too, and defo NO SYNTHETICS..

Gavin

Found website. I think there are some very interesting theories in here and it is well worth reading everything this fella has to say. Some of it may be cobblers but without a lot of time and money it would be hard to prove which is the best way to do it..

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Do you really feel that a 5000 mile running in period is entirely necessary? My running in procedure follows that of the link in Gavin's post, i.e. not threashing it to within an inch of it's life, but warming up properly and not being afraid to use a bit of throttle.

I do,however, agree that regular oil changes are a must - especially the first at around 500 miles.

Well after a year of C ownership and 10K miles in five months (it's been f'ked for the rest of the year) I've now got to the very bottom of my problems (lol it's a corrado!!!) We have done the head work - new chain, tappets, belts etc and it was still not right so had to look deeper and then discovered that the timing marks on the crank didn't line up! So this was stripped that down to find that there was so much wear to the crank pulley and crank shaft that they both needed replacing - combined they made the timing on the crank 4 teeth out!!! (C's with 5 previous owners have deffo been thrashed) The price for a new crank from VW is £400 :shock: so we looked at other options and have decided to go for a complete bottom end which is only £700!!! Once this is fitted it's going to be virtualy a new engine (and a big bill :( )

I know that after all this it will need to be run in (recomended 1K miles by the garage) but when they say run in what can't I rev it over? I'm assuming it shouldn't go over 3K in the revs - is that right? And also if anyone has any other recomendations of things to do to that'll help it along then that'd be appreciated too....

Cheers

Phil

bugger, I've got a virtually new TSR balanced 2L crank for sale.

When I started to run in my brand new 6A lump I just took it steady for 1000 miles, no screaming the crap out of it and cooking it, but made sure I went up and down the rev range and generally treated it with a bit of kindness, no labouring in high gears, long runs at steady revs etc...

Once i'd got about 1000 miles on it I then started giving it a bit more stick and it's gradually loosening up a bit, runs a degree or two warmer than the old bored KR block, It'll be interesting to see if that settles down a bit. Used about 1/4 litre of oil or less every 500 miles or so so far, which is reducing. I'm still only on about 1600 miles though.

Looking forward to having 5-10,000 on it and getting it precisely tuned up on the rollers though, robably next spring now.

One thing I did do was change the oil and filter after about 400 miles.

David.

Thanks for your help guys, the whole running in thing is getting me worried now as if this is done wrong the engine could end up being down on power and I obviously want all the power it can offer! That web site that Gavin posted is very interesting and now leaves me wanting to sit on the fence as far as "the best way to do it" goes! Any more suggestions / opinions on this would be great...

Thanks for your help guys, the whole running in thing is getting me worried now as if this is done wrong the engine could end up being down on power and I obviously want all the power it can offer! That web site that Gavin posted is very interesting and now leaves me wanting to sit on the fence as far as "the best way to do it" goes! Any more suggestions / opinions on this would be great...

Don't worry!

I reckon your best bet is to just let the oil warm up and drive it exactly as you normally would, TBH I don't think anything will make a lot of difference unless you abuse it and you wouldn't do that to any engine with any miles right? :)

I do think an oil and filter change after a few hundred miles is a good precaution though.

David.

(C's with 5 previous owners have deffo been thrashed)

Quite worrying mines had 8 owners (92k)!!!! Thrashed and beaten? But it had the timing chain, clutch, head gasket etc done... it seems really smooth and appears in good shape.... have I got trouble waiting for me a few months down the line? I wonder...

:shock:

dji... Kev... :o

What happened to your face? :lol:

Is that fear of something? :lol:

Maybe you had a real drive in a G60!!! :twisted: :lol:

Ford, shouldn't worry about your engine dude... if it's running fine then it's prob all good. you've done the bits that are known to be in need of doing at around the 100K mark - plus it's a VR and they don't have to rev as high as a valver to get any decent pace so I'd really not worry :wink:

Having spoken now to the Garage about running in pariods it seems the very best way of doind things is to take it gradual and steady for the first 200-350 miles, change oil and thrash (with out red lining) should make it a good fast enginge :mrgreen: I've got 2 weeks to wait untill Danny at MCM is back from holiday and then the engine will be sorted and it'll come home (at last) I can't wait :D

I'd also just like to say that I fully recomend the quality of work at MCM, they're based in Millford - Surrey. Danny has worked for VW in the past and knows a hell of a lot about the Corrado... and at only £30 ph you can't go wrong!