Sign in to follow this  
brian g60 corrado

what speakers to fit in new pods

Presume you mean the Audioscape pods, which would let you take 6.5" speakers?

Components:

Focal

Infinity

MB Quart

Pioneer

Take your pick really. Depends on your budget.

http://www.bassjunkies.com/index.php

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.caraudiodirect.com/

http://www.letsbuycaraudio.com/main

http://www.cel-direct.com/

Have a look round and let us know what takes your fancy :)

HTH

fancy some focals 165As ,or maybe the 165V2s,now i can get these from audioscape were i got the pods with the group buy prices,but was woundering if there is anywere cheaper,or maybe an alternative make.was also looking at infinitys.

any other makes to consider.

cheers.

brian.

me again is it poss to fit 6.5" subs in to audioscape door pods ,what i mean is would it sound good ,poss with 4" two ways in the dash.

as i have seen 250w 6.5" subwoofers there name is zues,£45 each .can anyone tell me if this is worth doing.

cheers.

brian.

to run subs you would really need to have the pod sealed at the right volume. you can use any speaker really as long as it models ok.

JL and DD do 6.5" subs - think Id stay clear of zeus :p

I've just order Kicker SSMD6's for mine. Basically i heard the kicker demo truck at Donny a couple of years ago and loved the sound even tho' it was playing FM radio at the time. There also a 6.75" and 120rms so loads of power available. Next up will be a 4" component set from DLS.

a20lee those kicker speakers are they subwoofers and do you have to seal them totaly at the pods,have you done that before ,what does it sound like .

cheers.

brian.

their free air midbass so don't need to be sealed. The doors will be completely dynamatted as kickers really err, kick. Price wise their £170rrp, got them for £120 from one of the direct sell companies in the back of max power mag.

I might be selling some alpine midbass unit if you are interested? brand new in the box for £60. very sturdy looking with BIG magnets :)

a20lee those speaker sizes 6.75" will they fit in the audioscape pods?

Yes, cut the holes today and dynamatted the doors. Not convinced there really 6.75". Probably 6.5" + marketing blurb about cone area. Pics of one of the doors in my member gallery post. Got to go get some screws now to fit the speakers.

I had AD speakers up there (£500 jobs) in fibreglass pods and they sounded good. back to std at the minute (for now).

alpines are still in the box mate. never been used.

I'm trialling some SEAS reference 6.5" components for Audioscape at the moment.... £700 worth :shock:

Magnesium cone, alloy centre plug/heatsink and drop to 35hz! (in car response).

Dual cross-overs per channel too with polypropelene caps, cooled inductors etc etc

I don't think they sound much better than my SEAS performance lines to be honest (half the price) and there's a nasty sibilance at 4000hz from the magnesium cone..... mind you, the tweeters weigh more than Focal mid bass drivers!!

Sorry... mega nerdy there.... but Pablo knows where I'm coming from :wink:

lol yes mate - I had some morel 4" tweeters before - LUSH!!!! pain in the arse to fit tho ;)

Id recommend JL XRs - I had the 3ways and they are still the best Ive had

also like the focal polyglass for midbass (the older ones).

Morel tweets! Good man... I dunno about you but I find decent fabric tweeters p1ss all over plastic and metal domes. Having said that, the Lotus reference metal domes are among the smoothest I've ever heard. Better even than Bowyers & Wilkins metal tweets.

That's one reason why I didn't like the Polyglass components. The plastic tweeters are pretty cheap and nasty and overly bright and shrill..... bit like Infinity junk.

And press a polyglass cone up from the edge and it just folds over like a wet fish. Do the same on a Lotus speaker and you get a pure linear movement.

Jees I really need to get out more :lol:

There was a top flight DLS 12" sub at Audioscape the other day with a cone that detached itself from the voice coil. Nice! They've gone down in my estimations now!

nasty on the DLS :(

yeah I defo prefer the soft domes as well altho like you my fave speakers have metal domes (the JL XR 3ways). focal are just pure bright but their midbass is pretty strong which is nice.

I think my ideal system would be:

Pioneer P9 HU (with DSP of course)

AD 6.5" mids

morel supremo tweeters

JL 15W6

sinfoni amps

and NO 6x9s ;)

Mate, now you are talking with that wish list, especially with the P9. It's the dogs. Comparable performance with Alpine's stupidly priced £6K F1 Status, but difficult to get hold of second hand. Audioscape are working on it for me though :wink:

Mind you, having heard Panch's multi-award winning Audi A6 (Genesis power, F1 Status signal, Lotus Reference drivers) I think that is the way to go. The nutter even had Genesis custom make a pure Class A amp for his dash horns......serious cash that man must have :shock: And you can't really get much of a better platform than an Audi A6!