Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Chee

Two problems with my G60??

Hi all.

PROBLEM 1 - Just took my G60 on a run to the Leeds Festival (120 or so miles and 95% motorway driving). I drove normally and was only getting about 25MPG according to the MFA. Last time I took it away to Minehead (150 miles and 85% motorway) I was getting around 35MPG!! When I went to Leeds I had two people in the car and a fair bit of weight (backpacks n stuff) so could this be the reason??

PROBLEM 2 - Since I bought it (six weeks ago) my C makes a funny kind of 'whirring' (sorry the best word I could think of) noise when turning the steering wheel. The power steering fluid is fine and has been full since I bought it. Any ideas as it is rather annoying?!!

Thanks peeps!

Problem 1 - you'd be amazed at how much people and kit weigh, so it could be purely down to that. It also depends on how fast you were going ;) Have another run on a motorway and see what mpg you get then.

Problem 2 - It could be your serpentine belt tensioner (the tensioner on the belt that powers the steering). The symptoms are a high pitched almost squeal noise that changes with engine revs. I've no idea where it is in the engine bay on a G60 tho.

i thought the whirring noise when turning the wheel was normal :?: just the fluid being pumped around

i dont think any power steering system is silent is it :?:

as long as the steering dosnt get heavier while turning or the belt starts to squeel the belt tension should be ok :|

since i did the boost return mod my average mpg has improved by about 5mpg 8)

on a g 60 the power steering comes off of its own belt and is not powered off of the serpentine,,

check belt tension, as this is adjustable,,

Ahh ok, the idea was right :) Just not used to these silly small engines (hides from inevitable flame) :lol:

Yep, only worry about the pas pump if it starts to sound like an angle grinder, do check the belt for tension, easily adjusted from underneath with a 13mm socket.

I had a similar problem when i first got my g60 i later found out that the power steering fluid was just some regular toot you can buy anywhere i changed it with the vag stuff and it solved the problem immediatly :lol:

I had a similar problem when i first got my g60 i later found out that the power steering fluid was just some regular toot you can buy anywhere i changed it with the vag stuff and it solved the problem immediatly

Good call, need to change mine soon too 8)