Sign in to follow this  
M777CUSGTI

Tuned G60 vs a scooby doo

alrite guys :lol:

when i come round to selling my golf i will hopefully be in the market for a G60 8)

just a quick question regarding these beautiful motors.

i notice there is a few geezers on this forum that have G60's that are running over 200bhp, im wandering just how fast these cars are?

like everyone else that isnt a chav, i fkin hate scooby doo's with a passion, and my next car would have to be a scooby beater. in a in gear race i.e 2/3 would a tuned G60 have a smelly old scooby?

or am i jus gonna have to save even more dough and go back to a 2.0 20vT fiat coupe? :lol:

thanx in advance guys! :lol:

I don't think even a 200BHP G60 is gonna have enough to do a Scooby.. not unless its one of the lesser powered 220BHP ones as obviously there is power loss through the 4WD. Will be much faster from a standing start, but catch one off guard and you might stand a chance.

But modern WRX and STi would eat most Corrado's for breakfast - apart from the S/C VR6 brigade :)

If you tune a G60 well, and take out every single bit of un needed plastic, carpet and sets etc, you might just do it. its all about power to weight not just total power.

What do you want me to say? They are quick enough! Slow off the lights, but great in gear.. in the handful of races i've had taken part in, mine saw me keep just ahead of a Mercedes E320 when I had 4 people in the car, and I easily walked over a 200BHP+ Rover GSI Turbo.

If my mate's 2000 WRX is anything to go by, there aren't many Corrados on here that would comprehensively waste it, let alone keep up - in a straight line. His was recently dyno'd at 242bhp. His old Imported Jap spec one would serioulsy leave pretty much any Corrado way behind.

I can keep up with him because he doesn't know how to drive it properly and Subarus understeer by default, so corners pose no problems, but on the straights he does pull away from me..... but it all evens out by 100mph and there's not much between the two.

As Jim says, off the lights - no chance. They are just over 5 seconds to 60 *book speed*, try matching that in an open-diffed FWD car..... it ain't gonna happen.

I would say the Fiat stands a better chance of beating your Nemesis, and if that's your main goal, then perhaps your money is better spent there instead. You'll need £8K to get a half decent 20V T though.....

If my mate's 2000 WRX is anything to go by, there aren't many Corrados on here that would comprehensively waste it, let alone keep up - in a straight line. His was recently dyno'd at 242bhp. His old Imported Jap spec one would serioulsy leave pretty much any Corrado way behind.

I can keep up with him because he doesn't know how to drive it properly and Subarus understeer by default, so corners pose no problems, but on the straights he does pull away from me..... but it all evens out by 100mph and there's not much between the two.

As Jim says, off the lights - no chance. They are just over 5 seconds to 60 *book speed*, try matching that in an open-diffed FWD car..... it ain't gonna happen.

I would say the Fiat stands a better chance of beating your Nemesis, and if that's your main goal, then perhaps your money is better spent there instead. You'll need £8K to get a half decent 20V T though.....

know you wont need that much at all mate :lol:

i sold my mint 99splate 20VT for 5k,

fsh portifino blue, a truly beautiful car

48k on the clock, quick sale as i was buying a house at the time :cry:

8K was a rough guide I got from some forum I stumbled on! Must have been an old thread.... are they seriously only £5K now? Hmmm... lot of car for the cash!

Fiat & Turbo are just two words which, when combined, worried me from a reliability point of view.

Are they generally pretty solid? Or expensive and troublesome?

yeh, you can get very decent ones for a about 4.5k, you just have to be very clinical when you look at them. because unplanned maintenance on them can be very expensive.

the turbo coupes are a very reliable car. it is an unfortunate that they have this stigma that fiat+turbo=crap, because they are very very good cars. rapid, look great and are very relaible.

for me it really is a toss up between the coupe and the C.

but..... ive already had a turbo car so i want to sample the whhhooooooossssssshhhhhhhh of a G60 :lol:

Scoobys no problem evo mr's :p ??

even my mates 360 bhp pulsar gets smacked

1.8t power :lol:

My mate has a tuned up 20v turbo coupe on fiat coupe forum.. and that goes well .. don't know about being reliable though the thing wants to pop if you run over a bar of boost..

very nice cars nice and smooth.. shame about the ugly back end IMO..

what sort of power are you putting out on your 1.8T ruffy ?

whats the spec of it? and are you running aftermarket engine management?

Sounds like a bit of a beast!

for me it really is a toss up between the coupe and the C.

but..... ive already had a turbo car so i want to sample the whhhooooooossssssshhhhhhhh of a G60 :lol:

Fancy a supercharged vr6 as I'll be putting mine up for sale soon?

what sort of power are you putting out on your 1.8T ruffy ?

whats the spec of it? and are you running aftermarket engine management?

Sounds like a bit of a beast!

Got a gt28 kit from atp running 305 bhp at 18psi 332 lbs

charge cooler, now running a dta.. ATB diff, koni fully adjustables, the usual really..

Not all Scooby owners are Chavs you know. In fact, I see a lot more chav'd up VW's than Scoobs. Slammed on 19's, pimp tints, bad boy bonnets, the obligatory alloy look stick on fuel flap cover, blue washer jets, bad ass ICE. All these things are much more common on your everyday hot hatch (106/Saxo/Punto/Golf) than Scoobs. Let's face it, old Golfs and even rather nice C's are well within the price range of the average Chav, whereas even the cheapest of old Scoobs although initially affordable to buy, the running costs prove too much for your average Burberry wearer. My Scoob for example has virtually no external mods whatsoever. I prefer to enhance the handling and braking to make the car a better drive. So far I've left the performance alone as 265bhp is perfectly adequate.

I am a regional event organisor within the Scooby community and we have NO chav'd up Scoobs in our group (one Asian with flip paint tried to join in, but we made him unwelcome and he sold up and went ho hatch instead) and I regularly hold events for over 30 Scoobs at a time, from track days to drives out to group visits to national events. Even our behaviour isn't Chav, respecting speed limits in built up areas and villages and always considerate to other road users.

When it comes to performance, I'd be the 1st to state that my C is just as quick mid-bend as the Scoob and has much less understeer. However, in the Scoob I can take much more speed into the corner, brake later on very good brakes (once you have replaced the original pads, upgraded to DOT5.1 fluid and fitted braided hoses) and once back on the power, on boost it lauches out of the apex like a rocket. The understeer is very easily got rid of with a set of solid drop links (£40) and a good geometry set-up. If you want it to stick like $h!t to a blanket, invest a few more quid in some decent springs (Prodrive £200/Eibach £145), uprated ARB's (Whiteline £40) and possibly the Whiteline anti-lift kit (£40). It really will handle like a go-kart then, even with its bulk.

If you want a faster car than a Scoob or Evo, I'd recommend getting yourself some professional tuition (best mod I ever did) and get to know the roads your likely to drive on like the back of your hand. 15 of us went out for a drive in the Yorkshire Dales last thursday, 14 Scoobs and a Ferarri 355. The 355 went home after 10 miles or so. In fairness they are built for smooth roads, and don't fair well on English B roads. Hats off to the young lad in his Saxo VT S/R (?) who saw us as a challenge outside Grassington though. It was obvious that he was local and had probably been up and down that road every day since birth, but he held his own impressively. Similar to the last mile before my house, where I can open up about 1/4 mile over my mates 320bhp STi, just because I drive it several times a day, and have for the last 8 years.

I still love my C, but times change and for me, the power and handling of the Scoob was the next logical step for a true petro-sexual. I am a driving enthusiast, not a VW enthusiast. If I see a well presented car of any marque, particularly a C, I'll usually try and chat to the owner. Let's all try to be a bit more open minded and friendly. For sure, shun the chavs, but the rest of us are enthusiasts so let's have some mutual respect.

We have got mutual respect - this thread is literally OOZING with mutual respect ffs! :) It was only the parent poster that for some reason has something against Scooby's - you'll notice that the rest of us take the cars for what they are!

I don't think you needed to make such a spectacular rant to prove your point?!

There was a lot more to it than that. His whole attitude was very domineering. The group I am in has been in existence for about a year and has a loosely organised democratic structure. He didn't even turn up at a single meet before trying to control events and stamp his mark of authority. The fact he was all flip paint, loud DV's, thunderous exhausts and bling simply further alienated him from our existing mature and enthusiastic membership. In truth, he was Chav, and not what we want in our group. Should we decide to start meeting in McD's car park and comparing our subs before challenging each other to a doughnut competition he can become our chairman. Until that day, we will continue to meet in country pubs, take our challenges to our own track days and remain civilised and mature car enthusiasts. May I also add, that this same Subaru community made me very welcome long before I had a Scoob. I was voted as Events Organisor of the West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club whilst still driving a Corrado, and our events have often featured VW's, Audi's, Saab's, Mitsi's and Cossies. We don't discriminate against car types, but we are all entitled to dislike certain personality types. Yes, I am a Chavist.

David, I agree with most of your posts but I see chavv'd up Subarus on a daily basis. Yes a 2000 WRX will cost you the thick end of £10K with low mileage, but you can pick up a ropey old N reg one for half that. Any chav can get a 10K loan anyway, and then start sticking Lexus lights on it, ridiculous boot spoilers etc etc.

Subarus are no longer a toy for the well off, they are just as accessible as Corrados and more and more Chavs will find their way into them. It's a shame the Subaru is a Chav's wet dream and it will pull values down when they get their mitts on them.

Even my mate's 2000 WRX (and he isn't a chav) has a ridiculous boot spoiler on it, and chav's love spoilers, so Subura are partly to blame for putting them on the car in the first place.

CoxyLaad,

It hanbles the torque very well I've had a few tips from marice reeves and Andy from tracksport on the suspension setup and we've managed to dail in alot of front end grip.. still get alot of wheel spin but just means you have be light footed in low gears after 60 mph its all guns ..

kevhaywire,

big spoilers :lol:

I know what you are saying, but buying these things is only the start. The cost of ownership is extortionate. I limit my mileage and still use twice the fuel I used to in the C. Then you have the parts :shock: and servicing costs :mad: . There are an increasing number of chav'd up classics appearing and it is pushing the enthusiasts into the new shape to try and distance themselves a little. As for the spoliers, mine has the standard low level WRX ironong board, but I know the STi and many others do look like a chav had a hand in the styling. I'll be sticking with what I've got, although I do like the Prodrive USA RB5 style, shame it can't be bought :( , yet :wink:

Scoobies are okay .. just dislike the drivers.. always trying to bully you out the way.. every one has a hks bean can ..and a decat pipe so they sound as loud as hell... :shock: just gives them a bad name.. the fact they cost a bit more than a old cossie doesn't mean there not Billy cars it just the rep they have ..even if you have a small wing .. IMO

no offence

in nottingham 80% of the subarus that go round are executive chav mobiles. so im only speaking about what i actually see.

its as simple as this:

Chav starts off his driving life and he buys a nova brought by his mom. he then gets a job at mcdonalds and gets himself a pre chaved 106/saxo/corsa. recieves the promotion of a life time to head burger flipper @ mcd's, gets cocky, gets a 10k loan, and buys a chav subaru :lol: :lol: :lol:

fuckin chavs man :lol: