Sign in to follow this  
emax

Schrick at 3,000rpm

some guy stripped his VR ECU and replaced all the capacitors and resistors with much bigger telecoms/computer grade ones...... nutter. Think he gained all of 2 hp!

No offence, but bollocks. To improve an ecu you need more load points or faster acesss to those load points. Changing a resistor for a higher grade one will do little, as nearly all of the resistors in an ecu will have little to do with the effectiveness becuase they will already be within the tollerances designed into it at the start. Changing a resistor or capacitor for a bigger one will just make the ecu not work.

(2 hp is within the normal variance of a rolling road and an engine anyway. "Gained" is therefore the word that deserves the response "b*ll*cks"...)

Plus improving your ecu will give little performance gain anyway. It might give slightly better fuel economy or response but it's unlikely. A standard ecu with the right map in it is good enough for nearly all situations. The only time you want a better ecu is if you need more load points - ie you want to rev to 10k or you need extra software - ie to run anti lag, air injectors etc.

Schrick GB participants are entitled to a £50 discount on those prices.

Just got back from E38 and there was no pinking at all today in today's 27 degree ambient temp. Oil only got up to 104 at 130mph....just gotta love those Mocals :lol:

I used Optimax today as there was no Esso en route. I drove it very very hard today trying to keep Supercharged off my bumper and it was fine, punchy and smooth with no det'ing. I swear these cars love being opened up from time to time :lol:

I really can't wait to get the 268s in. It's going to be insane at 4000 rpm plus :lol:

I used Optimax today as there was no Esso en route. I drove it very very hard today trying to keep Supercharged off my bumper and it was fine, punchy and smooth with no det'ing. I swear these cars love being opened up from time to time

Oh yes, that was a good drive up there...

Came back this afternoon Kev, 130miles in an Hour and a half.... :wink:

i'll keep an ear out for it but hopefully it wont cause too much of a problem!?

Probably not on a VR but if it was my cossie, by the time i heard it i'd probably have a scrap engine.

My car is pinking a lot less now too. I'm assuming that it is the colder temperatures that are helping the symptoms?

Yip....

Had a chat with Vince again about this the other day and it's *very* common. Even with chipping. He can iron it out though. He also mentioned it's the combination of the engine coming on the cam at 3000 as well as the VGI resonance that causes it. With 268 cams the 'on the cam' range is further up and therefore the pinking goes and as the 268s come on at 4000 and the VGI tails off........well, you can now see one reason why they are the perfect partnership.

K