Sign in to follow this  
tug

Hydraulic Tappets

Hi there,

Are all VW hydraulic tappets the same? Found someone selling hydraulic tappets for a 1.6 MK2 Golf, would they fit a Corrado VR6?

Cheers! :)

I am useless with engines ..... but 1.6 mk2 = 4 cylinders and VR6 = 6 cylinders.

Gut feeling is 'no'.

I see your point, but something tells me they might be the same common part in a lot of VW engines...

They certainly appear to be a generic lifter based on all the VW engines I've seen in bits and they all seem to be the same price from G&S, so they probably are the same. I can't see VW specifying a different type of a lifter for each engine.

That's what I was thinking. Need to get some soon, got at least 2 rattling away to themselves! Thanks guys...

This may seem like a stupid question, but what does a hydraulic tappet actually *look* like??

I've seen the top of them in-situ in a cylinder head, but I've never seen a good diagram or picture of what's between the point that touches the camshaft and the valve itself.. :)

They are a bucket. There is a 'pad' if you like, inside the bucket which presses on the valve stem. Around the circumference of the 'bucket' is a groove and a hole, which form the oil flow path. The pad part of the bucket is seperate from the top cam face and is held in suspension by the oil, they're a kind of piston I guess. Hope that helps.

There must be an exploded diagram on Google somewhere?