Sign in to follow this  
KooradoG60

turbo diesel swap

The most common problem is a sudden lack of fuel consumption resulting in people aimlessly hanging around in petrol stations looking at the pumps, wondering when they'll actually have to USE one of them again!

common problems?

People keep trying to get into your car when you're outside a nightclub, cos you sound like a Taxi? :lol:

I totally understand the idea behind this as the new VW diesel engines are fantastic. I have used one for a week but as soon i jumped back into my old Golf I knew I couldnt do such a conversion.

I would only do it if I were doing 500+miles a week.

I remember seeing a Mk2 Golf at york dragstip with a new TDI lump. It was very quick indeed, the quarter mile times were just silly! I think this one was massively tuned though.

I wouldnt do it, I have a bora tdi130 as a daily driver and although its reasonably quick, the characteristics of the engine do not lend itself to any form of performance car.

It depends if you like driving, or just want to go fast....

I can't get my head around a diesel coupe.

My 6spd 130 TDI A3 is nippy in the mid-range, well 310Nm (228lbft) torque is nice to have.

Obviously that's just the starting point with them :)

I agree with comments made so far. Diesel is great and fun in a company hack, but it has no place in a Corrado. I'm a bit of a purist at heart and feel Corrados should retain the engines they left the factory with, especially the VR.

Diesel has a long way to go yet before it can be considered a sporty engine. BMW's excellent 330d is close though and is more than a match for it's 3.0 petrol brother. By sporty I mean the buzz you get from revving an engine and the way it soars to the redline with an accompanying howl.

Diesels don't do that! They still sound like DAF trucks at idle and have a very narrow torque band, and only the 6 pot diesels sound sporty-ish when approaching the redline. The 4 bangers have a very non-descript engine note.

I would do it.

when I find one cheap enough with a knackered engine its going in :twisted:

I wouldnt have to think twice about taking the car out for a thrash to Glasgow !

Or a LPG conversion would do as well

ok well after reading these comments ill probably just let my corrado keep her g60 engine... might buy a tdi beetle as a daily d

thx all :notworthy:

you have to live with one for a few months to learn what they are like, people get in my bora and say "oh its quite quick isnt it?"

In reality I dont think it is that quick, what makes people think its quick is that it goes from having about 12ftlb of torque to having 2000 ftlb of torque in about 100rpm which gives a massive shove in the back...

Those quoted figures are a rough estimation by the way :wink:

Do it.

I put a 115bhp Golf PD engine and 6 speed gearbox into my G60, had 11,000 miles when I bought it now has 30K in 11 months.

I'm going to get it chipped to about 150-ish.

Torque is awesome, very lazy to drive and I've seen 707miles on a tank!!

Quick enough from standstill, but embarresses a lot of faster cars when accelerating mid gears, smaller diameter wheels give less speed but more torque.

A lot of work but worth it

my new caddy has the 1.9tdi it is quite funny wasting chavs away from the lights :lol: as i pulls like hell from low down, it just gets incredibly boring on a long drive and if i slow down and then try to accelrate straight away the turbo lag is a nightmare :(

i am driving down to portsmouth for a funeral on wednesday and i could use the van with free fuel but i am going to use the corrado even though it will cost a fortune in fuel as the van is just sooo damn boring on a long drive

mates of mine who also do a lot of driving for thier jobs have told me that they are getting bored of driving i drive more miles on average than most of them put together but i cant wait to get behind the wheel of the c when i get home even after a 300 mile drive from scotland 8)