Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Golf Mk2 VR6?

They are just aftermarket conversions and never came out of the factory like that! :)

They are a reasonably popular mod though as there is plenty of room in the MK2's bay for the VR engine... combine that with the fact that its quite a light car and you have a rather rapid wolf in sheeps clothing :)

:) I see you've found Jct29!

Quite a few Mk2 VR6's now. Most have been around for at least 5 years. The weight ruins the drive though.

You can now get MK2 R32's. (At inters 2004).

More common to have a 20vt conversion these days.

:roll:

the vr6 conversion is still very respectable though.

you can get them doen all in now for about 2.5/3k.

sounds like a fuc*in bargain to me! :lol:

I have a mk2 golf that i absolutely love at home - but am looking to scrap it since i got my Corrado as it needs money spent on a few engine issues - but having seen THAT i would absolutely love to resurrect the car with a VR6 conversion!!

So ChildeRoland i take it you have been in the car? What the performance like? I may have to come join junction 29 just to see that thing in action :D

I can tell you for certain that "MK2's don't handle with a VR6 lump" is a myth. They *do* handle. Corrado VR6 handling is sublime. And what is a Corrado VR6 underneath? A MK2.

It's all in the suspension and installation.

my mate had a mrk 2 jetta vr6 with the plus pack, corrado vr6 rear beam and vr6 suspension and it still didn't handle as well as my rado. Handling is all about feel and it didn't feel half as surefooted as a corrado. I prefer that you sit a lot lower in the rado whilst in a mrk 2 you sit high up with a more horizontal steering wheel. Not sure if it true but I think the rado is stiffer as the inner wings have been strengthened and the whole structure feels more rigid than the mrk 2.

Nah, most of the Corrado's frontal strength comes from the bonded screen, which the MK2 didn't get apart from the G60 and Rallye.

Jettas handle better than Golfs. The rear overhang provides a lot more aft weight over the back wheels.

A MK2 based VR won't handle quite as well as a Corrado based VR but they do stick to the road if the suspension is setup properly.

The Corrado shouldn't handle as well as it does with it's underpinnings, but it does. Somehow VW injected some magic into it and the feel and handling experience are mesmorising.

Stealth are the masters at getting a MK2 to cope with a VR lump. If you remember their "Stealth Bomber" MK2 from the mid 90s, you'll know where I'm coming from.

This particular Jetta used to slide a lot in the corners. Instead of the back end following the front like the Corrado handles, the backend used to slide a lot as if it was too light and counldn't counteract the weight of the heavier engine. In the Corrado the balance seems spot on and the heavy front end never seems to make the backend unstable. Even the mrk 2 16v can't match the rado for handling/feel. I think VW will have to do something really special to make a car which feels so good in every department.

A few sandbags in the Jetta boot should sort that, LOL!

I don't know what the Jetta in question had done to it but the MK2 VRs I've driven that were setup well seemed every bit as capable as a C. As said already, it's largely down to the front suspension setup. Stealth used custom made Koni dampers for their MK2 VR conversions and the Corrado's handling is mostly down to the negative camber. Dial in -1 degrees camber on a MK2 VR and it's approaching Corradoness. MK2s run +0.5 or 0 degrees as standard. Corrados run -1.2 negative which gives a sharper turn-in and "Plus" axle MK3s and Corrados use 20mm front ARBs, which are bigger than MK2 ones.

If you use as much Plus kit as you can with the install and use Corrado VR spec suspension instead of MK2, you're almost there.

This particular MK2 VR comes to No Rice at guildford every month so you shouldnt have a problem running across it :) And eprformance wise its great its what got me hooked on VRs in the first place

And that particular MK2 VR (pola's) has good links to this forum and one particular member - its got the heart and lungs from Phat VR6's old sh!tbox racer