Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

MPG with a schrick

Had my schrick fitted yesterday and although i understood MPG should not be changed i was sittin gin the car today alarmed at how the numbers were rolling backwards while sitting in traffic.. is this normal? does the engine just need to adjust now? or should i just get used to barely getting 20mpg round town now :(

You'll need to be chipped up to get the fuelling right..

Depends how much you use the loud pedal.. I didn't really notice any difference in economy, to be honest..

Kev said there was no difference, and someone even said they get better economy :shock:

Well the big trouble is you get nothing for free. If you're pushing 180lbft torque at 3000 rpm, it requires more fuel than 140lbft @ 3000 rpm, so be careful with your right foot...

It shouldn't effect the idle MPG. I'd check with the old calculator when you fill it up again, if I were you. Maybe there's a problem with the vacuum line to the instrument panel causing weird figures.

Mind you - if you've reset the ECU, you'll find it's running a bit richer now, until it re-adjusts.

You need to reset the ecu and take it for a blast once the engines already hot. Chances are your ecu was plugged back in when the engine was cold and you have been driving about since. :wink:

I never noticed any worse mpg, maybe slightly improved.

Yeah, try that. Make sure you go right through the rev range a few times in the first 10 minutes though and let the car engine brake its way down in third for a bit.

Your superglued breather valve could also be affecting the mpg's if its still leaking a bit.

Yeah, try that. Make sure you go right through the rev range a few times in the first 10 minutes though and let the car engine brake its way down in third for a bit.

ok thanks i'll give it a go

Your superglued breather valve could also be affecting the mpg's if its still leaking a bit.

possibly..will that really cause a prob? i ordered the ford part today and its in tomorrow..fitted tomorrow night

I'd say I'm only a few mpg down overall with the Schrick. Mine never gives good mpg crawling in traffic either but it always returns late 20s and early 30s on a run though.

Your ECU was disconnected for sufficient time for to reset and it will have relearned by the time you got back to Cambridge.

I don't think you have anything significant to worry about but if the mpg gets silly low, we'll have to VAG-COM it and see what's up.