Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Centre console removal

I need to remove the centre console to get to the hand brake lever mechanism.

Can anyone tell me where the fixings are and anything else I need to know before I delve deeper.

Thanks

D

if i remeber correclty there are 4 fat plasticy bolts around the sides of the centre consolse that you have to undo.

as the centre consolse comes out in 2 parts there is also a little screw under the rear ash tray that you need to undo.

from memory i think that is all ... mind you the one on my C was broken so it just came out. :cry:

Tom

You need a small stubbey philips screw driver.

first remove the rear ash tray and facing toward the front of the car is a screw, (hidden)remove and place in the ash tray for safe keeping, Remove the rear seat and undo the two screws holding the rear of the tunnel down. 8its easier to remove the unit with this out too imho.

Next remove the screw under the handbreak lever at the front.

down the sides of the seats are 4 (two each side) big plastic screws that are covered by the plastic tunnel, you can undo these by hand by getting you hand under them. Unless you have big hands.

You now need to remove the handbrake handle and cover (someone else can fill you in there) i´ve got a leather gaiter

the whole unit will come off in two parts or one depending one how much of a pig it wants to be. BE VERY CARELFULL years of sunlight exposure can make the pastic fraglie in places. You may also want to chock the rear wheels as its easier to remove with the hand brake on and off depending on how far you have removed it at any given point.

Hope that helps

The removal of the handbrake lever cover (the bit you yank on to pull on the handbrake) can be tricky, as it's not too obvious at first. You need to remove this leather cover bit first, before the rear bit of the handbrake cover. As far as I recall, you need to release a small tang/catch at the rear underside of the handbrake lever (you may have to release the leather a bit to be able to see it) You need something like a skewer to release the catch. Once it's free you can then slide the handbrake lever cover forward and off the handbrake lever base. This removed should now allow you to slide the rear most rigid plastic cover that sits behind the handbrake handle, there is a slot in the cover to allow you to flex it a bit and pull it off the main lever. Hope that makes some sense?!

There's a leather sleeve on the handbrake handle. Does yours not have it daves16v, ? By the way the handle can be a bit troublesome to get off you just have to be gentle but firm!

It looks plastic to me.........I never payed it any attention so I could be wrong.

Are you sure you have a Corrado or did you mis-type when searching for a Calibra forum?? :lol:

most 1.8 16Vs had a plastic handbrake handgrip... it was only when the G60 came in that the leather steering wheel and handbrake grip came in... :roll:

most 1.8 16Vs had a plastic handbrake handgrip... it was only when the G60 came in that the leather steering wheel and handbrake grip came in...

Ah, that will explain it then, I thought all C's had the leather one... but I ain't been in a 16V for ages..

mine too,of course, but I'm guessing it was specified by the guy who bought it originally along with leather steering wheel. Thought the leather handbrake levers were standard, oh well, live and learn.....

:offtopic1:

I don't know about my wheel. I think it is leather but they were not an option on my car AFAIK. How do you tell.

I know this is off topic........ Sorry

:offtopic1:

Removed the centre console yesterday and tightened the handbrake assembly back down. Also adjusted it too whilst I had the chance. No more rattles and the handbrake actually works now :D

The whole process was pretty easy so a big thanks to all who gave advice.........another fine job done with Forum help 8)