Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Optimax in 16v Corrados...

OK, I own an FSi so I already know the benefits of Optimax (42mpg normal 50mpg Optimax :D ) But do you see any benefits in a 16v Corrado?

I spoke to a 16v owner at the local Shell garage today who said he gets 35mpg on normal Shell. But does anyone regularly use Optimax here?

(I know! 35mpg in a Corrado is good enough, but I'm greedy/poor/tight :) )

I use Optimax when I see it, but am not as fussy as others! My 16v does seem to like it more I beleieve, pinks less and runs more sweetly. I don't go out of my way to use it exclusively though.

I always used to use optimax but my cars thirst meant it was staring to get very expensive, i have been using bogo standard unleaded for a few tanks now and I cant say i notice a difference, it has never pinked once :wink:

Don’t use regular 95 fuels. It is bad for the engine. The car was designed for 98. As long as you use a 97 fuel such as BP ultimate then you should be fine. Optimax is the equivalent of a 97 fuel so you should use it if you are at a shell garage.

I can tell you that I get 450 ish miles from 70 litres of optimax (same for BP ultimate).

(also 1.8 16v with no mods)

G

I always use Optimax as it gives a very noticable smoother ride in my 2L 16v but doesn't make much difference to fuel consumption. I recently tried BP Ultimax but wasn't convinced.

Used to use Optimax in my 16Vs. I had K star on them and could add an extra 2 degrees of off-idle advance when using it.

With water injection and Optimax I could advance the ignition 6 degrees on my 16V Turbo...... definitely the right fuel for valvers :wink: