Sign in to follow this  
Jim

STINKS of fuel?! -- now identified & fixed

Ok - slightly alarming. Car smelled slightly of fuel yesterday on the way home in traffic, even more so today.

Just washed the car today and was talking to my neighbour by the car afterwards and again it stank of it - he even noticed it.

Places to check (I assume) are around the FPR under the bonnet and by the fuel pump - though I didn't notice any fuel dripping or leaking from around the fuel pump (near rear arch on drivers side, right?)

You're being very calm Jim.. You must be beginning to get that sinking feeling again "oh no here we go".. :(

Well I am slightly annoyed now that i've blown my cash and something like this comes up but.. I can't see how a fuel smell is an expensive thing to sort. Surely a hose might have just worked itself loose or something.

The main fuel hose going into the fuel rail on the g60 perishes at the end causing a smell, simple to fix. Cut a small bit off and reattach.

Hope thats it.. thats my kinda fix - will check that tomorrow!

Thanks Joe.

Carbon canister has been removed on my motor Kev so at least that rules that one out.

As a little more background to this, I always found that my car used to pong of fuel a bit after backing off from giving the car a little stick, but the smell would clear in like 10 seconds. This smell that has developed in the past few days is very noticable inside the car, at the front and even at the rear.

Ah.. interesting.

I knew I should have got a MK2 Golf to get my hands dirty on before I returned to Corrado ownership - I don't know where the hell to begin with problems like this ;)

Cheers for that Kev - more things to check over in the car park @ work tomorrow :)

check the pipe going from the fuel rail to the pressure switch next to the isv...

also whoever removed your cc please tell me they havent blocked the tank breather pipe off as i have actually seen this done before.

also check the fixings on the rail on the other end too above and below the fpr.

Also look for fuel traces around the actual main supply hose inside the engine bay, the one coming up along the right hand strut (viewed in driving direction), may need to tighten up a clip there. Have a good snif around that area.

The fuel pump on yours is already inside the tank, you can hear that by laying your ear inside your boot above the fuel tank plate (never mind what the neighbours think :lol: ) and you should hear a humming noise with the engine swithced on (wanted to check yours next time we meet up and compare it to mine to judge whether mine's on the way out ...)

Tempest

Definately sounds like a small tinkering session is in order at some point then :)

just to clarify and get all the info in one post... 8)

In the engine bay there are 3 main fuel pipes to check for leaks (and yes, mine's leaked from all of 'em at some point or another... :roll: )

1) pipe into bottom of FPR, both ends - back left of the engine bay as you look at it from the front of the car connecting to the FPR

2) pipe onto fuel rail, both ends - back left of the engine bay as you look at it from the front of the car connecting to the fuel rail

3) pipe from fuel rail to fuel pressure switch - right hand side of the head just in front of the top of the inlet manifold

Also check that:

The FPR is tightened onto the fuel rail properly (seen one p!ssing fuel out here 'cos some numpty hadn't tightened a new FPR on properly... :roll: )

The tank breather pipe isn't blocked or kinked... it'll be on the left hand (from the front) of the engine bay/inner wing somewhere, trace it from where the 3 pipes come up the back left rear of the engine bay (looking from the front) , the breather is the middle one IIRC...

The injectors are properly in their seats (slightly more difficult to check)

Around the rest of the car:

Check the fuel pipes under the car haven't been damaged anywhere, on a UK car they run along the driver's side under the floor.

Check the condition of the fuel filter and the pipes attaching to it.

Check the tank is OK and hasn't cracked anywhere (very unlikely)

On cars with an external fuel pump, check the pipework and connectors onto this are secure, in good condition, and not leaking...

Think that about covers it... 8)

Ok - got to work this morning (car ponging of fuel) opened the bonnet with engine running and it took me all of about 2 seconds to spot the problem. Pics attached - doesn't look anything more than this needs loosening off, nudging up and retightening on again, but I knew that was it cause fuel was periodically dripping out and sizzling on something hot in the engine bay. Triffic!! Glad I caught this one before it got out of hand.

Though just need to know, if I undo this, is fuel likely to pee everywhere, or just dribble out a little excess? Need to know whether I need a paper towel or a full SIZED towel or a bucket on hand :)

Okey doke. Thanks Darren!

And cheers for the monster post above Henny :D

yeah, mine was leaking there for a while too... just couldn't be arsed to fix it as it only did it for about 30 seconds or so at startup when cold... :oops: as soon as there was some heat it sealed back up again...

You're best of fixing this as long as possible after the car has been started/had the ignition switched on as the fuel pressure will be at it's lowest then and the exhaust manifold (the hot bit underneith! ;) ) will be nice and cold... 8)

Personally, I'd change the clips for nice new jubillee clips as I don't like that kinda clamp that's on there currently... :|

Well the car is sitting in the car park now and has been since 8:30 so it should be nice and cold by now - I can't really leave it any longer as I need it to drive home in later!

But maybe jubilee clips are something to look at at some point if those are a bit crummy.

Whoa - there must be a big ass split in it. I nudged the pipe up and retightened it and turned the engine over and there was LOTS of fuel coming out. Off down to VW to get a new one right now I think !!

it's just 8mm internal injection fuel hose... most good motorfactors will sell it by the meter for a couple of quid... 8)

Hm.. well I went to VW (didnt see your post before I left Henny) and ordered one as they don't have it in stock. So I decided to come back and hack the broken bit off (as it was just by the clip and there was some slack left) and then reattach.

Now I know why people berate the Corrado as being a NIGHTMARE to work on. I've never tried anything like this before. Removing the hose was easy, as was triming the dodgy bit off (reaallly sharp scalpel in my techie tool kit), but then I refitted the hose pushing it on as hard as I could only to realise I hadn't put the spring clip on. $hit. Bent open the spring clip and bent it back round the hose and then dropped the screw for the clip down into a little ledge under / behind the cam cover on the rear of the engine! ARRRGH! Disconnect the big boost hose to the throttle body, fiddle around with tweezers for a few minutes (in the pouring rain) and then FINALLY get it, reassemble, start her up, no fuel leak, running fine.

Thank god. I'm proud of what I achieved :D