Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Wheel size ??

Hello everyone.

Just want to get some opinions on this......i'm quite satisfied with the way my car handles (i've had 3 16v golfs, this is my first C and def prefer it), i usually like to keep things standard, as mine is, but the more i visit this forum and see other C's i'm getting ever more tempted to put some 16 or 17 inch BBS RS's on because they look sooo good!!(being simular to my stock G60 BBS but filling the arches) OSV's is a good example :) .However, i keep reading that the handling suffers from this mod, which is the last thing i want. Bearing in mind that i would change the suspension aswell, just how much and what are the effects on the handling???

I've driven a Corrado with 17s and own one with 16s.....and I note you're from Ipswich, want to try mine to help make your mind up?

Back to topic.....17s are a harder compromise to get right. Most of it is down to wheel weight and tyre choice. I drove Crazymarcels with 17" BBS RXs and felt it drove very well indeed. You are definitely aware of the shallower tyre sidewall but it's not harsh.

It's always worth trying other cars where possible first, especially ones running uprated suspension with bigger wheels.

My 17s (with standard suspension) are coming off early next week when my standard wheels turn up. I adore the look of the car on 17s but I just can't stand the ride anymore, plus the 17s seem to have made the steering a bit vague. I wouldn't say the handling had suffered greatly though.