Sign in to follow this  
corradog60

dump valve on a mk4 1.8t

i know its not a corrado but just wanted to see if any one could help what type of dump valve i can use ive got a diaphram one on there just wanted to know if its right than :) ks

I dont think you can use dump valves on 1.8T engines running the standard management.

The system uses a recirculation valve normally, and apparently fitting a dump causes the ecu to get its knickers in a twist

I dont think you can use dump valves on 1.8T engines running the standard management.

The system uses a recirculation valve normally, and apparently fitting a dump causes the ecu to get its knickers in a twist

thats right the recirc valve is a dump valve it just puts the excess boost back in to the intake system as opposed to dumping it to the atmosphere.

ive brought a fitting kit from baliey motorsport which you actually get red of the recurculating system and you put the t-piace for the valve on the the pipe from the intercooler to throttle bodie just was woundering about which dump valve i can use ive tryed the piston (single pistoni think not sure if it has to be twin) and diaphram type but the diaphram is much louder but on a lot of car u cant use the diaphram type so if any body know help would be very greatful thanks

I think you will have problems if you are running a standard vw ecu.

The ecu needs the recirc valve, the dump valve will screw it up.

Ever noticed why you never hear any mk4s with dump valves?

Ive fitted a diapragm atmospheric one to my mates 20v seat cupra with no probs! Your best going for a piston type one.

I like the idea of the turbo smart one which recirculates at low rpm and dumps to atmosphere when largin it! (bit costy tho)

ive had the dump valve on there a day now and the orange engine management light has come on any ideas is this because of the dump valve or because of the type of valve im useing or the way ive put it on

Every time I read "1.8T" and "dump valve" in the same sentence I also read "20 bhp less". Now I know nothing about the technicalities of this, so this could be completely rubbish, but anything that puts your check engine light on can't be good, no?

this is true an the light wasn ton before so im thinking put the orginal system back but shorely this cant be because the valve loads of peps must do it jus dont no what to do