Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Door Adjustment

Having problems with my driver's side door.

The leading edge of it is rubbing against the front wing when I close it.

It's got so bad now that the paint on the door and wing has worn through!

Is there any way of adjusting the door so it closes normally again?

What would you recommend for touching up the paint?

I see Halfords do a Flash Red touch-up kit, anyone tried it?

When i had my last golf someone smashed my door in. Got a new door and had it sprayed then went to fit it myself and found that whatever i did i.e. person holding the door with it standing on a jack to get the height right and door would fit ok but would not close cleanly. Took the car down the garage who said that you needed a jig to set the door up correctly and VW steelers were the only people who had them. Althrough this being the case my garage actually borrowed the jig off the local VW garage for a few quid and sorted the door for another £20 and it opened and shut really well. I bet the steeler would charge the earth to do it. A lot more than I paid.

Can't really tell you how to fix it MikeVR6, but how do you think the damage happened?

The doors are big and hefty, but can they still be blown forward violently by the wind?

I have always been careful since fibreglass door on new Reliant van (sorry guys! - it was many years ago) blew wide open on its hinges and had to be taken to garage for repair. Repair was done by inserting 2cm diameter iron bar between hinges and body of car and bending hinges back slightly - very sophisticated technologically, I'm sure you will all agree.

Anyway, it worked and I was able to do it again myself when the pesky lightweight door flew open from someone's grasp on another occasion. Doubt if I would risk on my C, though.