Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

cheapest place for a mocal oil cooler

whats the cheapest place to buy a mocal oil cooler and all bits needed for fitting. John at JMR can supply a kit for £149 ish and without wanting to disrespect him atall as im sure he's is a very good price i just wondered if i could get it cheaper :lol:

thanks

£149 is a good price...... can't see that being beaten.

Check it has all the right stuff though because *soooooo* many people have ordered VR6 cooler kits from Think-Auto and got the wrong stuff sent to them. They aren't even aware the VR6 needs a custom made part for example, which is why I always get Vince to order Mocal stuff.

I can vouch for John's kits being spot on for a G60... that's what mine runs! :D

I know, that's why I stated G60... ;) I'm sure John's kits would be checked by John BEFORE he sends 'em out though, so I can't imagine his VR6 kits wouldn't have all the correct parts in 'em.... 8)

Mine was home fitted......dunno where you're gonna put yours though :?

Might have to stick it down in the nearside wing area where the G60 intercooler would normally live..... won't get as good a flow as if it were infront of the rad though....

yeah thats where he was fitting woddys on his g60. i reckon the air flow will be good enough to do what i need and its better than none atall. the vents on the bottom of my bumper are all open and i can rig up some hosing to flow to the mocal...should be fine

I'm beginning to suspect that Kev has an undue influence on your car, Jedi.. First the Koni/H&R setup, then the Schrick, then the VT mount, and now a Mocal? ;) :lol:

ha, i ave all konis actually...koni springs and koni shocks...the h&r's ride nice but make the car look to high stil IMO. aand the rest is just common sense...need a mocal to make it cooler.

my car is a mix of kevhaywire engineering and vr6storm styling ltd :lol:

anyway back to the mocal....why do i need those special pipes kev? im sure JMR have it all covered but i'll pm to ask anyway

You've actually got Vogland springs, not Konis :wink:

You need the free length of hose and seperate unions to make up your own length hoses, especially if you're mounting it in the intercooler area. The pre-formed pipes supplied are always too short.

I found a brand new one in an auto jumble. Mocal, 10 rom, sanwcih plates, and 2 aeroquip hoses.....£25!!!! :mrgreen:

If you're still searching, and fancy something a bit more special, like with stainless hose fittings and a proper thermostacically controlled adapter plate, then PM yellowslc and buy then direct from the states.

I enquired John in the past about this, im sure he said to tell him where its going to be mounted and he will supply hoses of the correct length. I really should get round to ordering this soon. Group buy? :lol:

I was down there this evening, got chatting about oil cooler kits, I'm sure he could offer a discount if we could get a few orders, perhaps look at a price including installation too - its not something I fancy doing myself, plus at least if Joghn fits it you know its a top quality job

As mentioned, get the free length of hose and seperate unions. You won't know what length you'll need until you fit it and you're stuck if the preformed hoses are too short, as is often the case.

Don't use braided hose either, they grind eachother and other surrounding parts of the car away.

I've had mocals on most of my VWs so it all comes from bitter experience I'm afraid :?

Sounds like an interesting idea Andy - i'm not exactly a dab hand at this kind of thing either.