Sign in to follow this  
Elboy

Dashbooard Speakers?!?!?!!

Hi all,

How difficult is it to change the stock speakers in the dash and what size speakers are fitted in there as standard?

I've just bought a set of 6x9's for the parcel shelf and some 5.25's for the doors so i wondered whether it might be worth changing the ones in the dash too.

Secondly how would they be wired to the head unit if there are only 2 ouputs for the front and 2 for the back from the headunit? Should the door and dash speakers be wired into the same outputs on the head unit (considering i dont have an amp) or is this a bad idea??

id leave them as tweeters mate. the run off the front outputs along with the door speakers but have a little capacitor to filter out the low freq stuff.

change the tweeters tho if you wish to different items but the 5.25s should be where the money goes :)

Dash Speakers are in fact tweeters...

Wiring goes from head unit to tweeter then doubles down to the door for the 5 1/4 speaker. Hence only uses one output from stereo for two speakers.

To be honest you want a decent component set for the front, that includes 5 1/4 mid range, tweeter and a cross over - this will give you a much better sound.

Dump the 6 * 9's and get yourself a small 10 inch sub for the rear - combined with the component set down front it will sound incredible.

I did this myself with my VR6 and was amazed with the sound - you will be dissapointed just replacing the door speakers.

Scott

Well what i think i'll do then is try the 6x9s for a while and then when i get some spare cash invest in a decent component set.

I think im gonna build myself a shelf so that i dont wreck the original.

Cheers

by the way,

if/when i upgrade to a component set, should i upgrade the speaker wire??

Actually should i do this anyway?

I've heard this can make a huge improvement.