Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

IP-BUS-> RCA

Soo does anybody know how to wire up a connector and/or where I can get the parts from?

I found a pre-made connector online somewhere for £25 and I'm buggered if I'm paying that much for a couple of RCA connectors and a IP-BUS plug.

Oh and ideally I want a mini-jack on it so I can hook my MP3 player (yet to be purchased) up to the head unit.

wozza "IP-BUS" plug for? Make, model, age? Get me a pic/diagram and I'll make you a lead (or at least a circuit diagram.... ;) ) 8)

if your talking about the pioneer ip-bus system its not quite as simple as making a lead up, as there needs to be certain signals going to the hu to tell it what the input is.

im pretty sure the ip-bus system is a multi-plexed digital link system and does not contain analogue audio signals i will ask a mate who is a real car audio boffin he should know for sure.

Yeah sorry, it's for a Pioneer HU.

The name of it suggests that it's a digital bus-based system, but then I saw a lead for sale that was just RCA to IP Bus, so I figured it must have some standard analogue inputs on it somewhere.

I'm not entirely sure tho, which is why I asked you guys. I'm on the assumption that Henny could do something like this in his sleep, but I have no idea what the pin-out or system spec is for IP-Bus

not in my sleep, but it's kinda part of what I do for a living (other than skiving and playing on here! ;) :lol: )

The digital aspect of it makes life a little more complicated... personally I'd be tempted to buy the ready made lead purely for simplicity/neatness reasons... ;) 8)

makes life nice and easy then...

3.5mm stereo jack -> IP-BUS connector needs:

Tip -> 7

Ring -> 9

Screen -> 11

Have a word with Kev about a couple of ferrite surrounds (I sent him a load of 'em a while back) to put on the mp3 player end of the cable to cut down on any noise problems... 8)

As for where to get an IP-BUS connector from? try Pioneer! ;) :lol:

makes life nice and easy then...

3.5mm stereo jack -> IP-BUS connector needs:

Tip -> 7

Ring -> 9

Screen -> 11

Have a word with Kev about a couple of ferrite surrounds (I sent him a load of 'em a while back) to put on the mp3 player end of the cable to cut down on any noise problems... 8)

As for where to get an IP-BUS connector from? try Pioneer! ;) :lol:

Good stuff, I've got some chokes kicking around somewhere, but good thinking.

I'll see what I can find WRT connectors from Pioneer...

Cheers Henny!

connecting the analogue audio might not be a problem but what about letting the hu know that it has an extra input and what that input is?? as when you plug in a cd-changer it knows what it is and displays cd-changer and when i plugged in the tv tuner it displayed tv tuner on the screen on the hu, i think the add on modules for the ip bus system each contain circuitry for identifying themselves.

i use the aux inputs that came on the tv tuner if i need extra inputs.

Good point coolrado, think that this'd need some experimentation to get it to work... :|

connecting the analogue audio might not be a problem but what about letting the hu know that it has an extra input and what that input is?? as when you plug in a cd-changer it knows what it is and displays cd-changer and when i plugged in the tv tuner it displayed tv tuner on the screen on the hu, i think the add on modules for the ip bus system each contain circuitry for identifying themselves.

i use the aux inputs that came on the tv tuner if i need extra inputs.

'tis indeed a good point, but if that lead they're selling for £25 on caraudiodirect works, then I would guess the HU just says something like "Aux input" if it gets no address/id info from the CD changer. I'll wire one up and see what happens :)

one way might be to get a knackered cd changer and use the output board :idea:

i might even know of one that was involved in a big car accident the case is crushed but the o/p board may have survived

:wink:

tbh 25 quid for the adapter is pretty damn cheap considering the cable on its own is about the same price or more

i would have thought there is some kind of id circuit as when a new ip-bus device is added the system has to be re-set to discover it :?

That might work, but then I'd need to power the board somehow. I'll see if I can get my hands on an IP-BUS connector first and go from there.

Having looked on ebay, there seem to be loads of people selling simple RCA->IP-BUS leads, so I guess it must work. They're still asking for £10 or so tho!

Edit: On closer inspection, they all seem to have a box of tricks attached (no external power needed) and they're all based in the USA too :roll:

The default for Pioneer is "AUX" on or off (press and hold "Function" when powered off to get to that menu).....then when you turn it on, you can scroll through the list of devices it detects. If it doesn't detect a 'pioneer' device, the screen stays on AUX and just amplifies the analogue signal.

You will struggle to find an IP bus plug mate..... they only exist on Pioneer accessories.... just dust your wallet off and buy the proper plug before you end up blowing the HU up with your Frankenstein cables....

The default for Pioneer is "AUX" on or off (press and hold "Function" when powered off to get to that menu).....then when you turn it on, you can scroll through the list of devices it detects. If it doesn't detect a 'pioneer' device, the screen stays on AUX and just amplifies the analogue signal.

You will struggle to find an IP bus plug mate..... they only exist on Pioneer accessories.... just dust your wallet off and buy the proper plug before you end up blowing the HU up with your Frankenstein cables....

After more lunchtime research it seems that there are 2 devices available from Pioneer, which are all the ones on ebay (and a few US sites).

CD-RB20 which has a big box-o-tricks and handles all the clever digital stuff

CD-RB10 which is what I need and has a simple RCA input that goes straight into the HU and leaves AUX displaying on the screen.

The only problem now is getting hold of one, because nobody seems to sell them over here. Car Audio Direct have a copy CD-RB10 made by CAD for £29.99, which although rediculously expensive is gonna have to do the job :(

And Kev, I've got a Corrado - my wallet doesn't get a chance to collect dust :lol:

this also depends on the model of the hu.

i have just spoken to a mate of mine who said that with the earlier models it was possible to make a straight analogue input cable but the newer models(starting with the oel display models) have more built in circuitry on the ip-bus system to cope with the newer add on devices tv,dab, cd changers, md changers, aux input ect)

thats what the o-n switch on the newer cd changers is for appearently o=old head unit, n=newer headunit

i do have a pioneer audio to rf adapter that came with the tv tuner (to be used if the headunit is not ip-bus compatible) but its not really the best thing for perfect audio allthough i have never actually tried it

it sounds like the reason for the high price is due to the adapter being a smart lead (not just straight connections to the analogue audio) definately looks like your best option though as my mate said the pioneer hu's are very easy to kill if you mess with the wrong wires on the ip-bus cable :(

it sounds like the reason for the high price is due to the adapter being a smart lead (not just straight connections to the analogue audio) definately looks like your best option though as my mate said the pioneer hu's are very easy to kill if you mess with the wrong wires on the ip-bus cable :(

Yeah I guess I just gotta cough up for a pukka Pioneer one as I don't really want to toast £200 of HU :(