Sign in to follow this  
chuck

Worn steering rack

Wow, just done a search and it looks like I'm not the only one to have a problem here.

Ok, so the rack has play in it - steering wheel turns about a cm in either direction before engaging the rack. (had a wheel off and track rods are OK - everything else is new). The rack was allegedly replaced 3 years ago, dunno what it is tho. Rack was fine last year - no play at all. Seems surprising it can get so loose in a matter of months.

There seems to be a large allen key type adjustment device on the rear of the rack - different to the one in the haynes manual for the golf MKII, but in the same place (ish). Is this an adjustment for play in the rack? If so is it possible to tighten it while on the car?? I have no money to spend, and an MOT coming up.

Cheers

Don't think the racks are serviceable these days, it's a replace or refurb job unfortunately... :(

Particularly the power assisted ones.

Yup, the allen key-shaped adjustment is for taking up excess play in the rack, its quite sensitive, so only small turns. I've done it on my old MkII Driver, but not on my C, (which may be different because of power-steering). My old Golf eventually failed its MOT because of it, although it had some super-excessive play by the time it went in for a check. Had a recon fitted eventually.

It could be play in the steering column though, not the rack, so check that... Does it feel sturdy at fast speeds? Does it wobbly and drift a bit?

If the play is noticable on the steering wheel only then the steering column may be loose or worn, may not be the rack...

The rack costs around £250 + VAT from GSF and is usually the culprit. The steering column is a dealer-only part and costs £537 + VAT. I know which one I'm changing first!!

Gulp :o

Definately the rack tho, cuz the UV joints into it all turn with the steering wheel, just nothing comes out of the end of the rack.

As for how sturdy it feels on the motorway - it is just noticeable, though it pulls ever so slightly to the left (more camber on english motorways than those back in ireland where I set it), which means it doesn't wander.

Will try and get it on a ramp and adjust the allen key thing - gotta be worth a try considering the replacement cost.

Who was it that was saying recently that other people look at the car and see a beautiful machine - I look at it and see the scratches, new dings on the doors and suspension that needs looked at and now a dodgy steering rack. :(