Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

Have to press the clutch right in, and it still crunches...

Is my clutch on its way out?

I find that I have to press the clutch right down to the bottom of the floor, and then some, to get it to change gear without making that horrible crunching sound.

At the same time, pulling away etc, i find that the biting point is just a tiny lift off from that position. Takes some getting used to, in order to avoid a harsh jolt.

The mileage is some 93k, and i dont know if it has ever been changed in its life.

Anyone got any similar experiences, or care to shed some light on this? Cheers.

Secondly, so i dont get ripped off or lied to by whatever garage i go to, what does it involve to change? Gearbox out job?

The clutch slave-cylinder perhaps? It could be leaking. I vaguely remember reading some other posts about it. Someone else may be able to tell you more, I've not had much experience with it.

Bleed the fluid and make sure you have no airlocks, check for leaks around the slave cylinder and master cylinder if it is still giving you grief then the clutch has probably had it!!!

Its not that bad'er job really I would hazzard a guess that a proper garage that knows wehat they are doing can change the clutch and replace the oil in 3 hours or so and a clutch from the stealers is £111 retail or £70 trade thats exchange price as they will take the old unit back it's quite cheap really so all in you should be looking at no more than £250 for the job IMHO

just to add to what 'nana man says, also check the pipe from the bulkhead to the slave cylinder, as I've seen a couple of these which have gone porus over the last few months which leads to a similar problem as a dead cylinder would...

The pipe I mean is the rubber bit with the coil of metal pipe on it which feeds the slave cylinder... 8)

Just another factor to throw into the melting pot... The clutch pedal doesnt have that springy feel when i release it, and it doesn't come all the way back up as it used to. It sort of stops midway, and to get it back, i have to get my foot around the back of the pedal and flip it back up. :?

Just another factor to throw into the melting pot... The clutch pedal doesnt have that spring feel when i release it, and it does come all the way back up as it used to. It sort of stops midway, and to get it back, i have to get my foot around the back and flip it back up. :?

Methinks a bleed is in order....

Chance may also be a fractured clutch release lever - 02A 141 709 A - hence having to mash your pedal way in to the carpet as the slave cylinder pin has to extend that much further.

Hope you get it sorted soon otherwise the slave cylinder might start to leak as it is now pushing further out than it's used too especially if it's an early metal one (plastic on later cars).

Stealth (Southam) will sort you out.

DEL VR6, they do that when there's either a dying part in the hydraulics or the pressure plate is on it's way out... you can't really tell which from that, but it's not an extra problem, so don't worry any more about that bit, sort the clutch problem and it'll sort the pedal problem... 8)

Just another factor to throw into the melting pot... The clutch pedal doesnt have that springy feel when i release it, and it doesn't come all the way back up as it used to. It sort of stops midway, and to get it back, i have to get my foot around the back of the pedal and flip it back up. :?

I had the exact same problem on my old G60 and my VR6 when I bought it. Same cure each time, slave cylinder. The rubber sleave part of it had torn and was taking in air on a pedal press and wouldn't release the pedal. Also had to put my foot under it to pull it back up.

Strange one here too.

After changing my clutch on my G60 it crunches when putting into reverse :( .

Its perfect going through the gears though.

The car is only on 41k now :cry: .

Any ideas guys.

Sorry for poaching yer thread DEL :wink:

Strange one here too.

After changing my clutch on my G60 it crunches when putting into reverse :( .

Its perfect going through the gears though.

The car is only on 41k now :cry: .

Any ideas guys.

Sorry for poaching yer thread DEL :wink:

Gear change cables need adjusting m8 :wink: