Sign in to follow this  
woody

Kenwood MP3 Player Problem

OK its about 18 months old and has never played me up at all. All of a sudden i am getting TOC (Table of contents) errors when inserting a MP3 CD not all of the time but about 50%. Some of the cd's i was using were scratched so i burnt some new ones last night put them in the player this morning and get the error again. Ejected the disk, put it back in and it was fine. Q Has anybody has this ???. Phoned up the place where i bought it and they said they had been told by kenwood that this problem is in how the MP3 cd is written in the first place. After sneezing and saying 'sorry i am allergic to bullshit'.

As far as i am concerned if it used to work and noe does not then it means that the laser or something is getting tired and worn.

Any replies welcome, and sorry about using the quote from I Robot but i beleive i was justiied in the situation.

Cheers

Woody

try a cd head cleaner, and maybe burning at a lower speed. I've got a pieoneer mp3 headunit which works for all my newer mp3 CD's but not ones i burned a few years back for some reason, although they play fine on my PC, although I'm not sure whats different about how they were written! simple things to check, make sure you're closing the session (so the discs no longer writable) and check what ISO standard you're using to burn (select from the 'burn' screen in nero) oh, and did you try pressing the 'reset' button on the HU? sometime that fixes things!

OMG Don't use a disc cleaner!!!! this is the worst thing you could do!! They are a CD with a brush on them that runs over the laser. Bad idea, if it intermittantly works now you may find that when you have used the CD cleaner that it doesn't work at all because the brush may scratch the lens. Try the other above suggestions but not the cleaner, if the others don't work I'll be happy to tell you the best way to clean the lens but will require it to be taken apart.

:?: dont use a cd lens cleaner? really? i used one on my dvd player recently becuase it'd 1) stopped playing dvd's properly and 2) was making a right racket. its now quiet as you like and plays anything i put in it (other than drinks coasters....dont ask....) surely the brushes on them are soft enough so they dont do any damage?

its not the brush that does the damage its any dust or grit the brush picks up and then drags across the lens repeatedly

the noise you mentioned was probably the laser struggling to read the disk as it bounces up and down trying to find the disk surface .

lens cleaners do sometimes work but i would not risk it on a 400 quid dvd player i would rather whip the lid off and clean it with cotton wool and distilled water

If it's skipping with a known working disc and you haven't exceeded the player's max bit rate or folder amount, then send it back if it's still in warranty - probably not if it's 18 months old? Some units have 2, or even 3 year guarantees. It's about time we got more than a poxy year...... but anyway.....

If it's not dirt on the lense, I'll wager the lense mount is made of plastic and has warped. This throws the beam out of a alignment and it will intermittantly skip and struggle as the temp rises in the unit.

Decent players have metal laser diode housings and mountings to avoid this.

The first production run of Playstation 1s used to suffer from this aswell...... which caused the game to hang intermittantly.

400 quid dvd player
good job mine was only £100 :D

dirt thing makes sense, i wasnt arguing with what roadie said, it just suprised me to hear it

ok

Never use a CD cleaner, USE good quality CD-Rs and burn the disc slow, the slower the better.

I have a Kenwood MP3 unit and the slower your burn them the faster they read/access

Yes burning slower has been the feedback i have had from a few shops. I will trying burning at 4 speed instead of 52 speed tonight.

Cheers for replies

i'm with kev on this one , the ps1 did have a problem , often solved by turning the unit on its side or turning it over, as suggested burn slower and experiment with different discs , they have different reflectivity, i always found verbatim pretty reliable, also you could try different software to burn with 8)