Sign in to follow this  
AdamB

Storm Query

I have seen a few publicity pictures of Storms with red calipers, and also read somewhere that they do NOT have red calipers. Were they originally sold with them, and have maybe worn off, was it an option, or is it just something some Storm owners have done? It would make a bit of sense, to go with the red badging.

Does anyone know for definate, the real answer?

Ads

Something Storm owners have done as far as I know - Storm had the same old brake calipers as any other VR6. Though its possible that, as the Storms were prepped by dealers before they went out, a handful of them could have thought it a good idea to paint the calipers before they went out?

Cheers Jim,

I think you could be right, looking at this web page it would appear the blue storm is privatly owned and the lacquer on the calipers looks new, but the green storm is in original condition in a museum, and does not have them painted.

I ask because the Storm I pick up on saturday, looks to be 100% original, except for the sony head unit, and I want to keep it that way. I think it will benefit the value in future years.

Yep.

You 100% certain its a Storm? There seems to be a sudden glut of them on the market and I am sure some people are going to get ripped off with 'pretend' Storms unfortunately :(

That car belongs to Guy Hartley - that car went onto become the 313BHP Supercharged, Schricked, 3.something litre monster that graced the pages of Golf+ magazine a month or two ago! :)

Its definatly a Storm, its actually the one that has been on Autotrader at 9.5k, for a while, but having dropped the price enough I decided to go for it.

There is nothing about this that makes me think it's not a storm, its even in the Mystic Blue, which is only a storm colour. I just dont want to alter it in anyway to detract from the original look of the car. Even down to the colour of the calipers.

I do like the sound of 300+BHP though, I think a few engine mods would be an acceptable alteration. :wink:

Its definatly a Storm, its actually the one that has been on Autotrader at 9.5k, for a while, but having dropped the price enough I decided to go for it.

There is nothing about this that makes me think it's not a storm, its even in the Mystic Blue, which is only a storm colour. I just dont want to alter it in anyway to detract from the original look of the car. Even down to the colour of the calipers.

I do like the sound of 300+BHP though, I think a few engine mods would be an acceptable alteration. :wink:

Well if it comes to it, you can always replace the calipers? The rear ones are a pile-o-poop anyway, so you can stick some Mk4 Golf ones on there instead. It'll set you back £200 but you'll get a consistantly working handbrake ( :shock: ). They're also alloy so they will stay looking nice and clean all the time too! 8)

If the colour of the calipers is worrying you, then buy it anyway, you can always strip the paint off if you're that bothered. Having said that, if you're worrying about the colour of the calipers to preserve it's originality, then you surely aren't considering modifying the engine? ;)

LOL, I was only kidding about the engine mod, though 300 BHP sounds awesome!. This is going to be kept original. The calipers are in the original clour, I was just wondering as I had seen the picture with the storm with red calipers.

I know it may sound really petty, but I have a heavily altered Mk1 Cabriolet (see link in sig) and I wanted this to go the other way. I will be trying to find an original stereo at some point, too.

I have bought the car, and pic it up on Saturday. The weekend can't come quick enough!

On another note - is there a Storm register, Like the Campaign register for the golf?

Not as far as I know.. maybe someone should start one? I know there are a fair few Storm owners on here so that would get things off to a good start! :)

Well if it comes to it, you can always replace the calipers? The rear ones are a pile-o-poop anyway, so you can stick some Mk4 Golf ones on there instead. It'll set you back £200 but you'll get a consistantly working handbrake ( :shock: ).

my handbrake is pants - dinkus, have you done this mod? If so where did you get your calipers - from the stealers?

Well if it comes to it, you can always replace the calipers? The rear ones are a pile-o-poop anyway, so you can stick some Mk4 Golf ones on there instead. It'll set you back £200 but you'll get a consistantly working handbrake ( :shock: ).

my handbrake is pants - dinkus, have you done this mod? If so where did you get your calipers - from the stealers?

Yup, the handbrake comes on fully with only about 3cm of handle movement!

C&R are the place to get them from. You need the Mk4 calipers and Mk2->Mk4 adapter hoses. Tell them it's for a Corrado though and they'll know what you need.

The whole lot comes to £200 delivered if you've got a CCGB card, it's 5% more if not.

You can use the standard pads in the calipers too, but apparently the Mk3 GTI pads are the best fit.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14959 should tell you anything else you need to know ;)