Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

GB - HID lights

Anyone interested in HIDs for the corrado?

this place sells them for £295 but Im sure I can get a good deal for a few sets. Angel eyes are also on offer (normal price £85). I have a set and they are very good quality (if not a little fragile) but are let down by the yellow nasty OE lights so would be a good upgrade with HIDs.

The kit is for a pair of bulbs (H3 or H4).

Ill leave this for a week and see how many are interested. Ive dealt with the guy and he accepts paypal and ships special delivery so a quick turnaround is on the cards if they are in stock at the time.

A mate has ordered some for his 330Ci so Ill post pics and thoughts once they arrive.

http://www.eclipse-lights.com/

hid_kit_contents_sm.jpg

e38_hid.jpg

-pablo

I think we should leave it on as a note for information or if someone wants to buy them

HIDs lights have a diffent lense than that off normal neadlights, its actually a cloudy lense to look at.

and as Andy665, correctly says they have to be auto leveling and come with high pressure washers.

Now if you have ever seen an audi with OEM HIDs start up, you can see the headlight move as it self levels.

I might be interested in a set, so what if the car might fail an mot with them, its easy enough to put the normal bulbs back in for a day.

Now, to go for H3's for main beam or H4's for dipped headlights. :?

Or both. 8)

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but the guys on the s2 forum have been retro fitting HIDs for well over a year and no-one has encountered any legal issues whatsoever.

no MOTs failed and no close encounters of the fuzzy kind.

yalan, Insurance will be void, and i would guess the MOT centers never noticed

I find this surprising - as tuners tend to get away with a huge amount of rule breaking that would never be accepted from a vehicle manufacturer.

However, the passage which everyone seems to be quoting (pulled from a Lexus forum) states the following:

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering.

Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45. (9)

Taken from Commission Directive 97/28/EC of 11 June 1997 adapting to technical progress Council Directive 76/756/EEC relating to the installation of lighting and light- signalling devices on motor vehicles and their trailers......

http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_d ... l=guichett

anyone know why they must have high pressure washers?

I can only guess that dirt and squashed bugs diffuse the light beam?

my 330 sport BMW has self-levelling lights and high pressure washers but ordinary lights - no HID or Xenon :?: :?:

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering.

Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45. (9)

Here is the Rest of the information

In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.

Now if you no back up the page you quoted to 6.2.6.2.2 just above it under 6.2.6.2

6.2.6.2. Headlamp levelling device

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.

These manually adjustable devices must be operable from the driver's seat.

Continually adjustable devices must have reference marks indicating the loading conditions that require adjustment of the dipped-beam.

The number of positions on devices which are not continuously adjustable must be such as to ensure compliance with the range of values prescribed in paragraph 6.2.6.1.2. in all the loading conditions defined in annex 5.

For these devices also, the loading conditions of annex 5 that require adjustment of the dipped-beam shall be clearly marked near the control of the device (see annex 8) .6.2.6.3. Measuring procedure

now back up a bit further

6.2.6. Orientation

Towards the front.

6.2.6.1. Vertical orientation

6.2.6.1.1. The initial downward inclination of the cut-off of the dipped-beam to be set in the unladen vehicle state with one person in the driver's seat shall be specified within an accuracy of 0.1 % by the manufacturer and indicated in a clearly legible and indelible manner on each vehicle close to either headlamp or the manufacturer's plate by the symbol shown in annex 7.

The value of this indicated downward inclination shall be defined in accordance with paragraph 6.2.6.1.2.

6.2.6.1.2. Depending on the mounting height in metres (h) of the lower edge of the apparent surface in the direction of the reference axis of the dipped-beam headlamp, measured on the unladen vehicles, the vertical inclination of the cut-off of the dipped-beam shall, under all the static conditions of annex 5, remain between the following limits and the initial aiming shall have the following values:

h 1.0

limits: between - 1.0 % and - 3.0 %

initial aiming: between - 1.5 % and - 2.0 %

The above limits and the initial aiming values are summarized in the diagram below.

plus http://www.hella-press.com/search_detai ... newdir=eng

What would that do for the legality of the Citroen DS then? [granted it probably doesn't apply because of its age ;)]

S2's can do this because they have an external washer. and their lenses are projection to begin with, IE their lenses are already cloudy, Im looking into doing it in america.... I do believe that you need a new lens, OR you can be smart and get someone to etch D2S with a sand blaster, then cover it with some good clear coat so that it bubbles up like normal D2S's, auto leveling system is key though, dont know how they get around that.

I was thinking of doing the conversion on mine,my mot friend said it wouldnt affect mot but i appreciate the legalitles of it.

Wouldnt need the washers as i could wash them myself lol

yeah I dont know why they need the washers.. made no sense to me either... the only thing I keep hearing is getting DS2 lamps or DR2 lamps, DR2 are non glare and DS2 require projection lens.... anyone got anything on it?