Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Supercharging a VR6

A mate is thinking of supercharging his Golf VR6. Anyone have any information on this? Any info much appreciated, do's & don'ts etc.

Is this the kind of thing g-werks would get evolved in?

Anyone recommend a good place to have this done? Likely cost etc

Cheers

Dan

The sig is cool but at work his car looks like it's going 300mph as we have mega internet pipes..... but on my home Broadband his car crawls along at 3mph :lol:

There are basically 2 kits, Z- Engineering and a Vortech based kit (either VF-Engineering, C2 Motorsports or Eurotech ):

The Z-Eng. kit is only available in stage 1 (250-275 hp depending on the car) . It costs about £2000 new (excluding fitting). It is more limited than the vortech kits as the boost is fixed.

The VF-Eng vortech kits cost about £2500 for stage 1 (250-75 hp) and £3500 for stage 2 (280-300 hp). These kits are sold through UK distributors like NS Racing or Stealth Racing.

However the C2 Motorports stage 1 kit promises 300+ hp but they don't sell it for European or OBD 1 cars but you can still buy the kit minus the software and get your car tuned on a rolling road (about £400). It would have to be imported from the US and costs £2000 + postage + import duty + vat so would probably cost £2500 (+ £400 for the custom chip)

Eurotech kits are not sold anymore but can be found in the classifieds on http://www.vwvortex.com for about £1000 but again you'd have to import it from the US and incur the costs of transport and tax etc.

The vortech kits can be upgraded with a smaller pulley, bigger injectors and remaps for increased power so if you bought a stage 1 and wanted to upgrade you'd just have to buy the pulley, injectors and get the ecu remapped.

The actual superchargers/hardware seem pretty bullet proof and if the engine is ok it should be run fine although they will expose a weak headgasket. An oil cooler is recommended on a vortech kit as the supercharger's bearings are lubricated by engine oil which causes secondary heating. Good engine mounts are essential as the extra power puts a lot of strain on these components. A set of quality mounts such as vibratechnics costs about £300.

The total cost would probably be around the £3000 mark for the kit, fitting and extra bits such as the mounts.

Compared with an n/a engine at low revs there is nothing in it, but the power starts building at 3500 and then it pulls hard to the redline. The performance is comparable with something like a Boxster S, probably a bit quicker.

I wouldnt say that, I reckon it just feels that way because the performance at high revs is a bigger improvement than at low revs.

Ive compared my rr plot with yours and theres a definate increase through the whole rev range. (Before schrick)

Your probably right Joe, I haven't got a plot for my car when it was n/a but when I lined up against my mates vr6 I only started pulling away at around 3500 which suggested to me that there was no significant improvement at low revs.

Fair enough, things are always different in reality than on paper anyway.

Once it got to 3500 did u pull away pretty quickly or was it just a bit quicker?

From what I remember (I haven't lined it up against another vr6 for ages), I was pulling away quite quickly and was probably 4-5 car lengths ahead by 100 mph which probably doesn't sound like that much but is a big difference. It's definitely a big improvement over standard on paper and in reality.

I can remember.

I can keep up with a std VR on part throttle then wave and floor it and pretty quickly pull away into the distance apart from my Lambda probe isn't working so running rich which makes me the same as a std VR more or less.

Chris

For the first time, I feel justified in saying, :offtopic1: and :iamwithstupid: cos i liked them too lol!

Chris

P.s. have you realised the reason now?

In replying to the other thread.

The V1 produces more power than the V9. This has been proven over and over here in the states. The only advantage the V9 has over the V1, is that its cheaper. How is it more efficient? If you want quiet, the V2 is a quieter version.

The V1 can make up to 280-300 Wheel Horsepower on a VR6...the V9 will NEVER make that power without standalone.

You're all waffling now lads, as i'm sure you all know by looking at the specs of the two chargers that they can both produce well over 500bhp so what's the worry? plus it's not the V1 or V2 that's available in this group buy so stop bickering!

Chris

I agree....NSR have a Golf with a V9 producing well over 300 brake....

You can see on the spec sheets on Vortech's own site (they that make them and know best) that the differences between them are quite small. The V9 is nice and compact, which suits the Corrado application perfectly.

The V9 can deliver 20psi or 575bhp, what's wrong with that?