Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

E-bay ICE

Hello Everyone

I need to get ICE for my C. Unfortunately (or wisely, depending your point of view!) most of my money going on servicing/upgrades (a big thank you to John at JMR, looking forward to getting the car back :D ). So bascially im looking at getting the best system I can for cheapest money (arent we all? :wink: )

Anyway a mate at work suggested looking on e-bay. Always been a bit skeptical of getting electrical goods on e-bay, in case they go wrong etc...

Just wondering if anyone has experience of buying ICE on e-bay? Is there anything I need to watch out for? The only thing I know I need to watch out for is that USA equipment wont pick up UK radio signals although seen a seller on e-bay saying that the equipment he is selling will have no problem working with UK frequencies!

Any help gratefully received :)

try some of the online audio stores

car audio direct, hendon car audio, mcs direct.........ect

most of them will sell stuff at half the price of anything in halfrauds and usually beat the e-bay prices too.

i did a buy now on my head unit on e-bay and it turned out to be from hendon car audio for the same price as it was on their site £235 for a brand new pioneer p8400mp almost two years ago.

they where trying to sell them in halfrauds for about 500 quid :shock:

Some good advise there, though it's not strictly true that US radios don't WORK in the UK. They work, just you need to manually tune them, they have a different version of "RDS" over there.

I'm looking around for a new head unit myself, and have a few specific ones in mind, but have generally found that ebay isn't necessarily the best place to get them, especially with new or "nearly new" stuff. I found a couple of Sony head units that I can buy cheaper brand new than some people expect sell them for on ebay (and often do!)

Might be worth checking out http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk - these usually have some bargains for new stuff!

Befriend a frequent traveller who goes to the states a lot :wink:

Just such a person that I know came back with an Alpine 9835-R (iPod ready :lol: ) which he paid 400 dollars for...... it's a £500 stereo over here in Rip-off UK! He's getting me one next time he's in the US...... Only difference is in the US, this radio drops the R from the model number, but it's the same thing and yes the Radio does work over here.

It's handy for the iPod thing and it also has all the juicy stuff that I like - Parametric EQ, Time alignment etc etc

The alpine 9835 is nice, glad to hear there should not be too much trouble with the radio. They are on e-bay relatively cheap.Apparently car audio security is having a sale this weekend. If anyone is interested in getting ICE on sale maybe a good place to try?? BTW im not a part owner of car audio security just trying to follow the theme of the forum and pass out helpful info!!

:D

Use car audio direct as they have service which is second to none. They also have a forum ( one of the best imho ) which has a classifed section. American radio's tune in different steps to ours, Ie they use the odd numbers and we use the even ones for example if you listen to radio one at 98.8 the closest you would get is either 98.7 or 98.9.

Some can be changed over to british tuning and some cannot so check before you buy.

personally I think ebay is a rip off for audio stuff. If you get second hand stuff, then go to http://www.talkaudio.co.uk - thats the car audio direct forum, and then look in the classifieds there. People sell high end equipment at realistic prices there as they know that not many people on that forum are gonna pay over the odds... apposed to ebay :roll:

I got 2 viper d1200.1 amps off a guy on there, and they've been great (touch wood!). And I've seen loads of other great stuff for sale there :wink:

Cheers for that, I checked the URL and just assumed they'd changed the site as it says car audio?? - I'm sure both URLs used to point to the same place...