Sign in to follow this  
Ibsyj

What does G60 mean?

Hey ppl, just wondering what the 60 in G60 means, as i've also heard of a G40 in cars such as old polo's.

Thx, Ibs

Well the G is because the internals of the G60's supercharger (G-Lader or G-Charger) are kinda shaped like a (if slightly curly looking) letter G.

As for the 60 - I think its something to do with the displacement between the scrolls or something? The G40 had a smaller displacement? I'm probably talking nonsense, but I am sure that is vaguely similar to the discussions on this that have come up before :)

The G60 is the supercharger, and you're right the polo also had a G40 fitted.

The G part is due to the shape of the charger and is actually shortened from G-lader (G-Charger in German)

The number is the diameter of the scroll inside the charger... 60mm on a G60 and 40mm on a G40... there is also a G50 prototype which never got made into a production model, and rumours of G30 and G80 chargers which have never been proven... 8)

Hm, I thought the 60 or 40 referred to the height of the casing half :oops:

Then again, there is already another prototype, the G88, here :lol: :

3rear.jpg

Tempest

Thanks dudes, lol, that's been bit of a puzzle 2 me lately. So were the 'G' superchargers only used on VW's ie. rado's and polo's?

Well as far as I know, the G-Lader was only used on the Corrado (G60) , Polo (G40) and the Golf MK2 (Golf G60 / Rallye / VWM G60 Limited).

There were a lot of reliability issues with them and VW decided not to make any more of them - there was, apparently, supposed to be a MK3 Golf G60 but it never came to pass because of the reliability problems.

Ah yes there was - well remebered. Always liked the Passat G60 Synchro for the 'sleeper' factor - would love to get one shipped off to G-Werks for a bit of tinkering :D

G60 is the shortened version of:

"Gordon Bennet if its not rebuilt at 60,000 it will blow up" :-P

This of course would have looked shite on the back of the car.

Haters! :D

Not all chargers see 60k and grenade themself.. there was some guy on Vortex with a G-Lader with an aftermarket pulley and cone filter with over 179k on an untouched charger! Proves they can last if treated correctly.

Now get back to listening out for timing chain rattle ;)

Not all chargers see 60k and grenade themself.. there was some guy on Vortex with a G-Lader with an aftermarket pulley and cone filter with over 179k on an untouched charger! Proves they can last if treated correctly.

Yep, some chargers blew at less than 50k's but I know several people with G60's on 140k's plus with original chargers and engines still pulling strong (not sure I'd like to take the risk tho...!), Mine was fine after 89k's but the belt was looking a bit worse for wear and was getting slack...)

*cough* I've got the original charger on my engine with around 250K miles! :p :P :p It's had a couple of services, but lots less work than the engine's had... ;) :lol: 8)

PhatVR6, That'd mean that you could take it up to a G70 with a dremmel.... :| not that easy I'm afraid... :( The 60 (or 40) definately is the the size in mm of the displacer inside the charger.... 8)

Do they make new internals for the chargers???? If the spining bit inside broke, the engine would ingest the charger and well you would probably write off the whole engine.

G

Yep, some chargers blew at less than 50k's but I know several people with G60's on 140k's plus with original chargers and engines still pulling strong (not sure I'd like to take the risk tho...!), Mine was fine after 89k's but the belt was looking a bit worse for wear and was getting slack...)

ahem if you also remember your oil feed pipe had rotted through to under the braid !

I thought the R was to do with it being a narrow angle V6? :roll:

Er it is, because it's such a narrow angle, it's almost an inline engine... all other V's have 2 heads ;)

yep dinkus is rite. It indicates that there is only a 15 deg angle tween the cyl banks.

I was living in Germany at the time of the VR6 boom ( if you could call it that).

It might also interest you that the W12 was conceived as 2 VR6's next to each other. i.e. it is not a true W. It is also the shortest 12 cyl engine in production.

G