Sign in to follow this  
turbocorrado

non runner

:? got a slight problem... i own turbotechnics corrado 16v. however the other week the head gasket blew between cyliders 1 and 2. i have replaced the gasket, had the head skimmed and done evrything by the book. the engine is turning correctly and is timed up as it should be but the car just won't fire up.. it is gettig both fuel and a spark.. is there any sensors that control the fuel that may be connected or anything you can think off.. any suggestions welcome...

cheers andy

I know you said the timing is correct but did you disturb the cam timing during the gasket change? I hope you fitted a 2.0 16V (Engine code ABF) steel head gasket?? My Turbo technics 16V (Golf) lunched it's gasket between 3 & 4 (maybe this is common?) and I stuck the steel fella on and never had any repeats.

All connectors back where they should be? No accidentally severed wires or anything daft like that? If it's getting even a small amount of fuel, it should still splutter at least?

If it's getting the basic ingredients and not firing, I'd re-check all the timing and try again. Other than that, lord only knows! Gotta be something silly if it worked fine before the gasket blow.

Kev

94 VR6

cheers mate going to have a crack tonight.. was your tt golf quick.. dont suppose you know how many turbo technics golfs or corrados were produced cheers

Yea, check dizzy too. Especially the 3 pin hall connector going into it. same thing happened me, except found it would spark a couple times and then stop. Through luck I found that holding the hall connector let it spark repeatidly.

Seemed that taking the cover off broke the brittle plastic surround, and strained a couple of the wires.

seem to have bigger problems than first thought. decided to compression test the engigne again tonight.. no compression what so fucking ever in any of the cylinders. checked the timing again and it is spot on. next step i removed the plug in cylinder 1 and poured a drop of oil down to seal the piston (none of the pistons were touched when the head was removed) after doing this i compression tested it again and hurray i had compression in cylinder 1. not perfect but better than nothing. i repeated this process in the other 3 cylinders and tried to start it, but there was still not enough compresion.

i then decided to tow the car to build compression and the fucker fired up. however it wouldnt idle and was at the least a bit rough, but i put this down to the plugs being fouled from the oil. i took the car for a little drive then back home where it cut out and would not start again. after pushingit back in the drive i comprerssion tested it again and their was next to no compression. also the engine was covered in oil from what apeared to be coming out of the side of the head. at this point i shut the bonnet and walked away.

any one suggest anything

The head could be cracked therefore the cause of the blowing headgasket, did you get the head crack tested?.

What Headgasket did you use? i'm not 100% sure about this but turbo technics may have used a thicker headgasket to lower the compression ratio, if you have skimmed the head and used an OE gasket this may cause some probs (not too sure though about this one, need expert opinion)

cars fixed running better and faster than ever, no compression was a result of the car been stood for so long without the head on, and the seals in the bores diminishing. a drop of oil soon sorted that. also discovered what caused the gasket to blow. knakered engine mount caused plug to break off fifth injector, therefore when second stage of turbo came the extra fuel needed to rich the mixture was not getting there resulting in it running too weak and too hot.

cheers for the advice...

Good that you got it sorted, have you had the car on a rolling road as i am curious to find out the power these cars produce