Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Bl**dy spoiler!

Can anyone help on this?

On my '91 G60 the spoiler stopped working,even on the manual button.

Have had the panel off the back and played with the wires and got it working again.It appeared that the red wire was the cause of the problem cos when it was moved the spoiler would work but only partially.Then removed the black cover which revealed the cogs and things,and cleaned up the block that this red wire was connected to.Hooray spoiler worked perfectly!

until now.stopped working again. :roll:

Is this something that a VAG garage has to work on or would a a qualified vehicle sparky be able to sort it?

Please help cos the spoiler is one of the reasons I bought a Corrado! :(

it'll cost you if u go to vag! from what u say about not working from the switch either, then I'd say the problem is at the back. are u electrically inclined yourself? if so try dissing the supply wiring from the motor assy, then u can run a feed in, in opposite senses, to check the motor & drive train are working ok up & down. if there's any hesitation in its movement (eg motor straining) then either the drive train needs greasing (its easy to strip) or the motor is on its way out. vag charge a fortune but there are folk around who can refurb them, or get one from a breaker

hth

Thanks guys.

Having looked more into it,I think grease has caused the lower microswitch (or sensor or whatever that small green block is) to jam up.After taking the thing to bits and cleaning grease of the switches everything seemed to work fine for a few weeks...up until yesterday.The spoiler will only move up a couple of centimetres and then stop,but it does go back down again,which leads me to think that the switch is worn or is closing at a certain point. :?

Time to go at it again! :(

How do you get into the motor and is it quite easy to do? Mine is starting to creak as it moves up and down and since I have the day off today, I was gonna give the C some love and lube it up (no jokes please). If it is a simple quick job I'll get it done today. Should I degrease it first to clean it and then re-apply grease to it? What kind of grease should I use? Thanks in advance

It's probably the spoiler supports that are creaking in the rubber surrounds.Mine did this(when it works)and just giving it a few squirts of a lubricating oil usually does the trick.You can adjust the spoiler manually by pulling the black rectagular handle down and turning it to move the spoiler up and down. :)

Right,now I is thoroughly perplexed,and to some degree,vexed.

Have replarced spoiler control unit with a 2nd hand one and also the entire rear motor assembly-bracket and all.

The bl***y thing still wont work!! :mad:

Is there a relay or another sensor that can be changed,or am I going to have to concede defeat and put it into a ££VAG dealer££ to get it sorted.

If anyone has ANY ideas that can fix this I will be eternally grateful and buy you a virtual pint or three. :wink:

Talking of grease and dismantling the tailgate, has anyone else noticed that sometime during the hot weather a load of waxy substance has oozed out of the rear gate and down onto the bumper? I had a look and couldn't see anything obviously fubar, and *did* notice a waxy substance all over the interior of the panel.

I guess it's just a sealant that melted with the heat, but has anyone else noticed it leaking out when it's really hot? I saw one other car like it already, so I don't think there's anything unusual about my car, but I can imagine that stuff getting all into the spoiler motor and stuff would NOT help at all!

My car is black, by the way...

biggrim, If you know any bikers, they;re chain wax is excellent for that job. Mine started to squeek and groan, sprayed some on to a cloth, rubbed it on and it dries as a hard wax. never heard it since.

Talking of grease and dismantling the tailgate, has anyone else noticed that sometime during the hot weather a load of waxy substance has oozed out of the rear gate and down onto the bumper? I had a look and couldn't see anything obviously fubar, and *did* notice a waxy substance all over the interior of the panel.

I guess it's just a sealant that melted with the heat, but has anyone else noticed it leaking out when it's really hot? I saw one other car like it already, so I don't think there's anything unusual about my car, but I can imagine that stuff getting all into the spoiler motor and stuff would NOT help at all!

My car is black, by the way...

That's the factory rust inhibiting wax melting. Nothing to worry about. It happens mainly to red and dark coloured cars as they absorb more heat.

White spirits will remove it from the bumper.

Kev

biggrim, If you know any bikers, they;re chain wax is excellent for that job. Mine started to squeek and groan, sprayed some on to a cloth, rubbed it on and it dries as a hard wax. never heard it since.

Halfords sell Castrol chain wax. It's great stuff and I use it on my mountain bike chain.

Kev

Halfords sell Castrol chain wax. It's great stuff and I use it on my mountain bike chain.

Kev

Thats the exact stuff i was talking aout Kev, it is excellent stuff (I borrowed my brothers tho :wink:)

Cheers :thumbleft:

Going back to the electrics...

Have you tried running a wire straight from the battery to the motor to check the motor is actually willing to move? If it moves then there's a problem with the wiring somewhere...

Just to ask as stupid question, you have tried the fuse??? :? :? :p

Yup.Fuses were the first thing I went for.The spoiler worked briefly after fitting the new mech-it went up using the manual switch,but it refused to go down again. Went for a test run to ascertain if it worked automatically but no joy.After that it refused to work at all again.

(blown sighs,shrugs his shoulders,kicks an imaginary stone and trudges off into the sunset..... :roll: :D )