Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Which exhaust system?

The Milltek system I got from John at JMR is an excellent bit of kit! The whole system weighs about the same if not less than just the original rear silencer! When you floor it it makes a nice sort of M3-ish note but of course with the VR engine in the front sounds much better! And when you relax at about 3,500 + revs on the motorway maintaining speed you can't hear a thing, honestly quiter than the standard unit. If you feel like scaring a few people at the lights if you tap the throttle quickly up to 1,500 rpm you get quite a nice pop out the back and apparently if you get a decat it's possible to get some flames (so I've heard...) A system for every mood! On the looks front the tailpipe sticks out not quite as far as the standard unit but more so than the Magnex so maintains the original look better. The Magnex and Milltek are both roughly the same shape except you get Milltek written on the back which are used on many factory modded cars such as the M series, and even the Italian monsters!

Right,it's been decided.

Got in touch with Venom and they said that the Magnex won't fit my car cos it's a 91 and the hangers are different.

Magnex do 92 onwards.Then they suggested a Scorpion system at over £100 pound more, which has the boxer tailpipe that I'm keen on(but not by that much! :p )

So now I think the Milltek system is looking favourable IF it's a good price,because, as I mentioned earlier,the cost of getting it here,as most companies use couriers,which usually work out more expensive than good ol' Royal Mail, can be prohibitive.

John (16VG60) does do a VERY good price on the Milltek - in fact its one of the best priced aftermarket stainless exhausts i've seen.

Drop him a PM :)

anyone got experience of a Magnex system on a G60? I might be needing a new system soon (well not needing... but u know :))

I have a Magnex system on my G60 at the mo. You'll need to check that your exhaust hangers are the later "pin" type & not the earlier "hook" type. Magnex only do the later "pin" type system.

Sounds just as quiet as the OE system IMO. I'm going to be changing it for a custom built Powerflow system later this year. My 12 month old Magnex will be for sale then :wink:

Unfortunately I have a '91 G60 same as Blown, so I assume I won't have the right fittings...

You did mention you're getting a powerflow... what they like then? Not trying to dismiss Milltek btw, will probs end up getting one of them depending on what I already have (I don't actually know what system is on at the mo :oops: ), but theres a powerflow place quite near to me, so I could get one of them fitted very easily :)

Shilakadaddy, I want a more throaty exhaust note :rambo: - the Magnex is just too quiet for me :?

With a Powerflow system I can select the tailpipe that I like (keeping it oval) & I can select the exhaust note as well 8)

The Corrado exhaust hangers were changed towards the end of 1991 production - you may have to look to see if you have the later hangers.

With a Powerflow system I can select the tailpipe that I like (keeping it oval) & I can select the exhaust note as well 8)

You going for F# then? :lol:

I think stevemac is aiming for a similar note to my powerflow

dinkus - that would be F#ing LOUD :D :D :D :shock:

I've heard from a few people that service the corrado's at Colbornes VW in Guildford that Powerflow aren't allways that great and the quality is not as good as a Milltek or Magnex even with the best ones they've seen. The problem with Powerflow is any old bugger with a halfords socket set and a roof can apply for the Powerflow license. Which means if you have recommendations of a good one then fair enough but if you have found a local one with no reputation then there could be problems.

This is just what I've heard, no dig at powerflow....

I used an excellent Powerflow dealer in the City Centre of Birmingham. The exhaust has been spot on from day one bar a few hanging probs but that was the car not the exhaust! I agree that there are a few poor powerflow dealers but get a good one and the exhaust is excellent. Fits perfectly - no knocking or rubbing like soo many of the magnexs and similar quite often do. I say hoorah for my powerflow but heed this they are loud so be prepared!

:p :lol:

I think stevemac is aiming for a similar note to my powerflow

Similar to how your's used to sound before you had the front silencer fitted 8)

time to speak....i have a milltek!

John asked for us Milltek buyers to speak up...so up i will speak :)

Looks, i have the milltek and my good friend has the magnex.. the tail pipes on both cars are the same size but the magnex is slightly slashed back so even though the tail pipe points up slightly when poking under the bumper, the face of the exhaust is still vertical. The milltek is just a straight 90 degree cut so IMO doesnt look quite as good...but its not too bad.

Noise, both sounded the same IMO. When i buy an aftermarket exhaust i wouldnt want it to be whisper OE quiet... whats the point?? if you want that get an OE one??!...but their by no means loud. as has been said..nice burble in idle, failry silent at motorway speed etc etc.. i hear the scoprion or other systems are much louder!

Value, JMR do a cracking price at present although i think he is revising the price structure?? But the Milltek was cheaper than the magnex.. best i found the magnex was a shade under £300 plus P&P

Quality, i saw the Milltek before fitting, and its been well made and is certainly at least 1/3 lighter than OE. I havent seen the Magnex off the car but i understand it too is light and well built

Fitting, I dont hear magnex owners complaining of any knocking and i have to say the magnex on my friends doesnt knock..even though it is lowered....Does the Milltek knock??? YES!! Is mine the only Milltek that knocks?? NO!!

The knocking occurs on the rear axle beam... both myself and another person both found this independantly of each other and i know of one other with the problem making 3 and that was all found out in about 2 days!! ...who knows how many others have the problem??? It is down to a very small design fault...BUT!!! here is Millteks saving grace!!! they have fantastic customer service! They have already fixed the other persons knocking and are about to fix mine.... and hopefull take the opportunity to redesign their system!!

I am not going to swap my milltek because im happy with it and happy with the excellent service i have received and i happy with the value!!!

Milltek need to work on a couple of aspects of the system and then it gets my 100% thumbs up!

I feel i have been fair with this write up and have not bad mouthed anyone or any product

my vote still goes to milltek

Supersprint is the only company to carry out dyno testing on its systems. If you want the best HP increases there is no other option. I have a CAT Back on my VR6 and the power increase is REAL. It's also very quiet.

Check out what Tim Stiles Racing says about Supersprint.

It seems like where you live nothing is going to last more than 3 years due to the high salt content in the air. Corrosion is a must! :!:

So I guess you need to decide do you want a powerful exhaust or just a pretty exhaust??? :roll:

RaddoDubai