Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Looking for the best filter for your Corrado?

BMC air filters are wicked!! Its a carbon fibre large tube with the filter inside that you need to have a direct air feed to it!

You always hear that K % N, Ram Air etc give you 10 BHP which we all know to be rubbish, they are still goof filters but the BMC filter does give you true reading of BHP increase, its the most expensive on the market to my knowlege and it doesnt sound like a cheap induction sound, it sounds classy and lets face it the VR6 does sound the nuts without a filter and the G60 with that lush whistle / charger sound, but if your wanting a good filter BMC is the one I would choose - they make filters for Ferrair so they cant be bad!

As it has the carbon fibre tube it keeps the hot air away..... there is a plastic panel you can take off near the left fan which will guide you down to the bottom of the bumper! It took me ages to work out how to get an air feed on the corrado VR6 but I read it in a magazine somewhere. It also looks cool too!

Ive been looking for a filter with the filter inside the tube design. Anyone else have any views on these? What kind of element do the BMC's have and are they suitable for G60's, ie, not foam....

Well I know somebody who took off his ramair on a VR6 and put a BMC filter on it..... he lost alot of power :shock:

Hi dude

The BMC filters will fit the G60, you have to measure the diameter of something as there are 2 sizes, I really rate them, my friend has a G60 chiped, pully and stage 4 etc and he and I both run the BMC filter, providing you get the air feed to it you will feel the difference. When you get really high in the rev range without the filter you can feel the C baking off but with this filter you can feel the difference especially when you get into the high rev range!

I will be getting me car back from the body shop tonight and I will hopefully take a pic for you. You dont have to muck around with heat shields etc.

scott

When you fit the BMC filter you need to make sure there is an air feed to it, without it the filter would be naff, its the design that keeps it cool (carbon fibre) and as its in a tube it obviously need the forced air to complete the filters capabilities.

Did your mate make an air feed to it? Im sure that would cure the problem.

Also the sound is different and with the Ram air system it may have sounded louder, this can some time give you the conception that you are going faster. Im not saying that what he did wasnt true but it is something you cant rule out!

Stealth Racing liberated 7bhp from a Golf VR6 with one of those BMC filters.

Got a standard paper one in mine :lol:

Kev

94 VR6

surely the best filter would be no filter - as there would be no air restriction

Not necessarily, atmospheric air entering the induction track would be turbulent in nature thus the actual mass flow would be less than if it were of a relative laminar nature. Performance air filters due to the fine filtration, as well as keeping inlet air clean, also reduce the turbulence of atmospheric air and so the inlet track has a better mass flow rate.

BMC filters are good, i use one on my GTi. They are very well designed, the ones you're talking about Rams is the CDA type, they also have stand alone cone filters which are very good as they have an inverted intake cone at the top too. Therefore the surface area from which to suck air from is significantly increased. They also have a venturi effect reducer on the inside which then connects to your inlet track.

:D

Dubcharged, thats the one i've got ..... a CDA filter by BMC! Expensive but worth the money!

I got my car back art the weekend from the bodyt shop, before it went in it was on the standard 15 inch speedline alloys so I bought some 17teens and a new smaller momo millenium steering wheel and the car feels fantastic. It feels a lot tighter or the corners and with the smaller steering wheel it just feels really good. I drove all weekend, and planning a trip to Alton Towers!! I dont know if you noticed but I was planning a track day, we could always arrange a trip to Alton Towers for the day?Or is that not peoples bag?

I have a K&N panel filter and they are crap IMO done nothing for me and I dropped a few bhp on the rollers after fitting. I know there are a lot of influencing factors but I wouldn't notice if you swapped my paper one back in.

2p

I agree with fat tony. I've got a k and n in my 16 v dosent sound any better and there was certainly none of the promised increase in power or throttle response. I have even drilled the air box to help with airflow. Thinking of getting one of those strove induction kits that sit under the fuel injection unit.

fry

On a standard G60 you probably wont notice much of a difference if any by using a big Cone filter since the charger is only spinning to produce around 0.7bar.

Its when you start making around 1 bar and are approaching 200bhp (fly) that swapping the box and (horribly ridged) standard induction hose with a bigger filter with cold air feed will make a difference.

hi guys,been thinking of getting a K&N for my 1.8 16V,its already got the box drilled like swiss cheese,dont think im going to bother getting a K&N after reading this.i am curious about this BMC thing.do they produce one that would fit my C?if so is it panel or is there much modding needed?

Hi Karmann

I would personally leave K and N alone, the BMC is a great filter, they do whats called a CDA which is a carbon direct airbox filter.

The element is inside a canister which is carbon fibre so looks nice, keeps the element clean and dry and the keeps the air from getting cold.

There is a place in southampton called Auto Technics and they eat, sleep and breath VW's and they recommended the BMW filter.

BMW make the induction kits for AFerrari so you cant say they are going to be bad quality now, can you!

They defiitely make a cda system for the C as me and my ,mate use the,m and I have the VR and hes got the G60.

Im sure they have a website, have a play with the URLL's and im sure you will find it. It does cost a lot more, but for the sake of an extra 40 or 50 quid that will improve your bhp it got to be worth it. There are comapnies who rolling rd these filters and all the filter companies say they give you 10, 15 BHP which if you know anything about cars you will never get this from a filter alone, admittidly you can gain considerable increases of BHP from a filter but every BHP increase is not easy to get.

One tester actually received 7 bhp from the filter, and I trust the source.

I hope this helps you mate, if you get stuck again, I will give you a number for you to order the kit. The oimportant thing with the BMC filter is that you get a cold feed to it, you are supplied with some air ducting and if you run it from the bottom of yyour bumper, you can take a plastic part off near your readator and this enables you to be able to get the air ducting threw to the box.

Like I said, any worries, give me a shout - Ramsay

yeah seriously considering this.im a bit miffed though above u said BMW filter,du not mean BMC?yeah id be able to get cold air feed to it no problem,thats the fun part.would this filter just go striaght in to my air box (panel) no fiddling around.what about the fuel lines that sit on top of the air box are they in anyway related to the air box?if it isnt a panel filter what happens with these? cheers for your help.

KARMANN

Yeah sorry , just re read my writting, I use a laptop now and the keys are closer together than my PC so I alsway hit the wrong buttons when typing at speed.

The filter is BMC, the beauty of it is that you take away the air box and attach the new system / canister and that links to the regulator I think its called, basically the part that has the wiring that connects just further up from your exsisting airbox it is a pin plug connector where you oush the metal on the top and it releases the connector. It is this part that you keep and attaches into the top part of the canister.

There is a plastic moulding, quite small to the left of the radiator if your looking down at it and this then enables you to route some air ducting down to the bottom of the bumber.

Just wondering why a bloke at stealth racing doesnt rate them? Is that because he has a contract with Ram Air or something? Lots of people will only try and sell you the lines they do..... Lets face it, you can nessessary blow your engine up with an induction kit, so if they stock Ram Air or K & N then they will try and sell you them. On all packaging of these kits they all say that they give BHP increases but the BMC has be checked by other people wjho have them and they have reported back with 7 BHP. I still dont believe this but a few other came back to me from this forum and backed this up so that why I would stick wwith the BMC. I know for a fact that supplying the coolest air in the best fashion will help your engine so why Stealth Racing dont reccomend it when it has a carbon canister to keep the air cool and supplies you with an air feed, how you can go wrong. Maybe with the G60 it has something to do with the amount of air as the super charger has set amounts of air being pushed through I don know, but there are loads of raddos on the site that run an induction kit of some sort rules out the fact that induction kits are bad for the G60. I say that becasuse all of the people that have G60 want the best performance out of them so they wouldnt make the mistake by an easy mod ie the induction kit. Please come back to me if you dissagree.

If you have any problems I can take a picture of it and post it on here?

Well I know somebody who took off his ramair on a VR6 and put a BMC filter on it..... he lost alot of power :shock:

this happened on a couple of punto GTs aswell

Ok mate, tell me how he lost the power from direct,cold induction than apposed to warmer induction?

Because the system relies on a cold feed, did he use the air ducting to get a cold feed of air IE from the bottom of the bumper or somewhere?

I have a BMC filter on my car, well its a CDA, made by BMC wich simply stands for Carbon Direct Airbox.

what was happening on the GT's is that the filter was starving the engine of air, i can dig out some RR graphs, of a GT with a CDA on and off etc

From your graph, the normal engine power is down by 10 BHP!

Thanks for the pics, but GT's are not Corrados and my experiences with Corrados are much more favourible than Puntos!

Was an air feed applied in this case when using the BMC filter as from my previous statements referencing air measures??

I am sure that this was the case why the GT lost so much power, even still, I have run my VR with and without the cold air feed and you can tell the difference, but 10 BHP difference from a standard filter to a direct carbon airbox kit seems a bit strange to me. Do anyone else agree?

I know of a few garages who deal sticktly with VW and they are great and they will only suggest BMC filters if you can afford it.

The only other explination was that the filter was fitted incorrectly, IE the air flow meter was in correct as running a new system, secondly, when changing the air flow the car will have to be tunned to give the car more fule as you are gettore air in order to complete the cycle to gain more performance. At the end of the day if you whacked a supercharger on there you would have to set it all up if you give something more of then yoy have to compensate. Just like modifying a car, you change one thing then really to gain the full benifit you then have to replace something else. However, if all that was done then you can call me a cock sucker!