Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

Noticed last week when pulling away in 1st / 2nd gear I got a puff of black smoke out the back.. its not related to revs in any way..... seems actaully be confined to low revs...

I thought then perhaps it was just a one off but it now seems its a bit more regular now although some days it will be fine other days it will give a puff of smoke and then be fine for rest of day!!!! :shock:

No smoke on start up, no smoke at high revs, high compressions, no power loss (191bhp)..... and no DTC's (VAGCOM) so am a bit lost!!!

Its black smoke which suggests to me fuelling..... now with 102k on the clock would you suspect injector problem?

Discuss!!! :D

Yeah black smoke indicates an over-rich mixture, which won't be doing your cat much good. Could be your MAF sensor, which VAG-COM only shows up when knackered, not when operating out of range. Could also be your O2 sensor. Does VAG COM show you the voltage values? It should fluctuate between 0.1 and 1V.

Could be your injectors but when I've spoken to Vince in the past about them, he says they rarely give any trouble.

Hmmmm, not 100% on that one dude. Still battling with my own running problems!

Kev

94 VR6

Its only occasionally it does it though.... thats what has puzzled me!!!

Also I feel this might due to the trouble had with number one cylinder coking up,... and yes its doing it again now.... Ive had a few people look at it and they suspect the injector.

Hot and Cold compressions = same.... Wet and Dry compressions are same.... so it aint engine wear!!!

Also the plug is matt black....

Injectors done 102k miles anyway!!... so £35 for ultra sonic cleaned ones aint going to kill me now! *:)

But will see if can check the voltages - cant see why not!

Cheers,

Scott

The injectors just accept 12V and that's it, not much you can do to them in the way of electronic diagnosis. Since they are tiny solenoids, chances are one of them has become sticky. You're really unlucky if this is the case as I've never seen a Digifant or VR6 injector fail.

Kev

94 VR6