Sign in to follow this  
Blimey

Shutting doors with windows down.

Hi All,

Have any of you come across this; when you shut your driver or passenger door with the window up it gives that nice solid VW "clunk", but when the windows are wound down and you shut the door it sounds like a load of bolts are rattling around inside the door?

Cheers

Yeah, that means a rubber thingy at the bottom of the window has popped out. It's apparently a right b&^%& to put back - so just live with it ;)

Or, if you figure out how to do it, pop round to Andi's afterwards ;)

lol, glad I am not the only one! 8)

Well, I shall suffer with the rest of you and close the door with the windows up in future... :lol:

Cheers

Cool, when you've done it will you post up whats involved? If its easy I'll have a pop at it as well.... :)

Nice....

I remember reading somewhere all you need to do is remove the doorcard, then with the window halfway up push the rubber thing back on woth some silicone to secure it. Never got round to trying it on my 16v though, the vr is fine :D

One of those things I haven't got round to either.

My passenger side has this rattly clunk, and my driver's side lock/unlock pin thingy doesn't work and has become detacted.

So thats both doors apart one boring afternoon. Might get round to it in 2005.

no your not the only one - I keep thinking that I am going to break the glass!

Humph - I did! :x

(had all the rubber seals out at the time tho..)

yeah - mine does this, and my '90 golf cab did too. Good old Karman... Going to give it a go at the weekend so will let you know what ive broken on Monday :lol:

What needs to be done to get the door panel off. 2 screws by the lock, 1 by the hinge... what else and which end prises out first. Seems just as solid with all the screws out..

you need to pry the handle apart and unscrew that... it holds it together a fair bit. then, you need to pull the top part of the card away from the door... be careful not to break off the corner of the plastic triangle interior piece by the mirror like i just did a couple days ago ( :x :x :x ). then all that should be left is the two clips that the card rests on.. lift up and it should be free other than the wiring.

i took mine off the other day but everything seemed in place and tight..so i just greased the runners and it seemd to of stopped the noise and the rattle when the window is at the top :?

Everyone is refering this rubber bit as a thingy!! What the thingy?? I looked and couldnt see anything wrong. The window is loose though at the bottom and there definitely isnt a rubber part there that has come off. Maybe my car is missing that rubber part. My passenger side is ok, I just thought I could fix it by what people said and if I still dont get it after any replies I will just have to take the door pod off the passenger side and see if anything looks different.

yeah - I want to know what I should be looking for too!! My windows clunk when I open them and they hit the bottom of the door

anyone know what clip/bit needs sticking on and what it looks like??