Sign in to follow this  
chuck

16V running temps.

Hello all,

I've seen this issue crop up many times now, and I have ( well my car) suffered from excessively high running temps myself. But now I think at last I have the problem sorted.

My running temps now are:

Water:- 90 deg to 100 deg.

Oil:- 100 deg to 110 deg.

These temps were experienced during heavy traffic in town. Idling for perhaps 5 mins before moving. 45 mins driving.

Previously my water temp would have gotten up to 110 deg and oil up to 116+ in similar condidtions. I temporarily solved this by using a lower temp thermoswitch, which turned fan on at a lower water temp.

I recently read here though (couldn't find post) someone replaced the water pump and it helped their running temps. So I did the same thing last weekend and this, I believe has fixed the problem by creating better water pressure, thus better circulation.

(Note, with the lower temp thermoswitch still in, the fan seemed to be permanently on - so this is only a temp fix!!)

These temps were seen with the standard thermoswitch and new pump.

Just a bit of info which maybe clarifies a common complaint!

my oil temps runs at 104-116

cant tell u my water temp because that dont work properly :cry:

things which can make your oil temp higher i noticed is that if u have your headlights and fogs on

Mine ran about 108 on the way in today which was gentle motorway driving.

Has been known to barely get above 90 and on other times get up to about 120. Water temps generally stay around 90-95deg...