Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Security, any advice..

As im getting a corrado in next month or so im wanting to know whats best doing to protect my corrado, I know alot of people know how easy it is to break into certain cars ect.

What kind of alarm is best and even a trip to the body shop for de-locking,

any infomation is greatly wanted.

Neil

I don't think there is any better visual deterrent than the disclock steering wheel locks.

My car is Cat 1 alarmed and immobilised plus a factory cat 2 immobiliser so it aint going anywhere, but I would be almost as gutted if someone tried to break into it and battered the doors/ steering column etc. I think the disclock just gives that added extra protection and deterrent.

My mate said a few weeks ago he heard a van pull outside his house at 2am in the morning for a pop at his next door neighbours golf. He heard them say 'shits got a disclock on', they all got back in the van and drove off- they just didn't even bother trying :)

Park it in a garage, if thats an option,

A good cat 1 alarm & immoboliser, Sigma & Toad have good rep's

You could take a relay or two out to stop the car from being driven off.

Passatt rear handles will get rid of the locks in the handles

Norwich on the whole is generally pritty good though for me, probley talk that up now./

Basically, you need a Thatcham certified immobiliser (cat 2) or alarm/immobiliser (cat1) before just about anyone will insure you... I've had one fitted to almost every car I've owned anyway just for my own peace of mind! 8)

De-locking with a set of passat handles will confuse some of the little sh!ts, but those who then try anyway will still be able to get in the same way as before... the only handles that will get around that design flaw are the audi style flush ones which need some fairlly heavy bodywork mods to get 'em to fit and are welded in... Quite expensive, but look fantastic! 8)

A tracking device such as the Maxon TrakM8 I have fitted to my car will help with your insurance with some companies... Mine's working out that it'll pay for itself in 2 years thanks to the discounts! :D I also have made a small circuit that means I can turn off the engine via a text message if I ever have my keys stolen! :twisted: 8) That'll annoy any car-jackers! :lol:

At the end of the day, there's only so much you can do to try and stop 'em... if some little $#!£ wants either your car, or the contents of it, then they're gonna give it a damned good go at getting 'em without bothering what damage they're doing on the way... :( Best bet is to make sure you NEVER leave anything valuable on view in the car, make sure there's plenty of visual deterents inside the car (disk lock, flashing alarm LEDs etc) and that it's always parked somewhere visible and safe... 8)

I've got a quote for £750 off the net for a 1.8 16v with a cat 1 alarm so ill get one fitted anyway.

How hard are the passat rear handles to fit?

Would it pass the MOT if you took the handles off and welded then filled the holes?, Ive seen this on a few cars.

I'm not sure, but I know i'd rather not depend on electronics just to get physical access to my car. Might make getting you out in an accident or something a little harder for example.

I think if you fit a solenoid door pop kit you also have to have a manual way of getting in the car like a button for instance like the tvr's have!

I'm not sure, but I know i'd rather not depend on electronics just to get physical access to my car. Might make getting you out in an accident or something a little harder for example.

Fair point, but if something (touch wood) did happen i think the emergency services would just smash your window.

My neighbour goes on about McGard (or is it McGuard) locking wheel nuts.. I guess you get what you pay for so some good quality ones should at least help. If you wanna go totally crazy, then two locking nuts per wheel is an option :)