Sign in to follow this  
GB_SEAN

How do you open a cableless bonnet?

My Bonnet Release cable gave up the ghost on me today, has anyone any suggestions on how to tackle getting the bonnet open before I strip the front end?

Henny, That is useful providing that the cable is intact and the bonnet is being a pig to release. But my cable is not in tact and has snapped It does say

"If neither latch releases (rare), then the cable is either too slack, snapped or the latches are too dry and therefore seized."

I know that the cable is snapped so these methods won't work. I could get the drivers side release by using a hook but it's getting to the passenger side one which I can't work out?

I had to break my grill off then get my arms in to release the catch. That was the driver side though and your radiator will most likely be in the way to get the passanger side. Good luck!

which car has it gone on? 1.8 16V or VR6?

If it's the valver, you should be able to get at it from below exactly the same as the drivers side one... I can't say about the VR 'cos I've never worked on one... :|

There are a load of other threads about opening the bonnet when the cable has snapped, that one I brought up was just a quick example... 8)

The VR6, the valver would be easier. I'll do a search for these threads, a snapped cable must be quite a common occurence?

nuts, sorry, can't help any more if it's the VR as I have no idea where the engine/rad/pipes etc run in relation to where the release mech is... :|

The other option is to sacrifice your grill and smash that out of the way, then you can get access by hand to the mechanism and release it by hand... :| New grill from GPC is £25 IIRC... 8)

To be honest I was replacing my Bonnet release cable and took the thing off the car and went indoors to get the new one and have a brew at the same time, when I mate came round and walked in the back door saying, 'Sean I closed your bonnet for you just in case of someone came along and nicked something out of there' my first words were 'tell me your f'king joking!'

I have been led underneath trying to get the passenger side release with my arm up there which has to be tighter than having your arm up a horse's ass!

Any assistance would be appreciated. Take the passenger light to pieces?

If the grill is already off, push the radiator ducting back* and you'll be able to reach the release levers.

*Can be assisted by judicious slackening of hex-head mounting bolts on front of radiator...

sorted it I just managed to pull the cable hard with a peice of metal with a hock on the end!!!!! That was lucky!!!

I did the same, I pulled the Grille off carefully not to break the tabs and got an old metal coat hanger, trying to find one of those was hard enough. I managed to hook it round the drivers side release catch and give that a tug to release one side and then with a wiggle of the bonnet the other side popped open. Talk about a relief.