Sign in to follow this  
joby

Stealth Racing 1.8 16v Turbo conversion

Anyone got any ideas on what sort of money this conversion would cost as i was thinking about this, My car has only done 65000 miles and i think a conversion like this would be money well spent as i will be keeping the car for a long while yet, I would have a go at this myself as i have rebuilt a couple of VW engines in the past (GOLF GTI days) :) And my brother is a diagnostic technician for Mercs. But havn`t really got the time and no Garage, My car is the 1.8 16v also wonder if it would be cheaper to slap a VR6 in it. Any ideas please 8)

If you're contemplating a VR6 install, go for a 24V as it's a newer and better engine than the 12V. Although you'd be 100cc short, it still kicks out 204bhp as standard, so not too shabby.

I used to have a Turbo Technics conversion in my 16V MK2, which Stealth built. I have receipts for around £5K for the engine work :shock: It wasn't cheap but then decent engine conversions rarely are. You can do a 1.8T converson for less, or the 24V for even less, providing you get all the electrics off the donor car too.

TT kits occasionally come up second hand though, so keep your eyes peeled!

If you're contemplating a VR6 install, go for a 24V as it's a newer and better engine than the 12V. Although you'd be 100cc short, it still kicks out 204bhp as standard, so not too shabby.

I used to have a Turbo Technics conversion in my 16V MK2, which Stealth built. I have receipts for around £5K for the engine work :shock: It wasn't cheap but then decent engine conversions rarely are. You can do a 1.8T converson for less, or the 24V for even less, providing you get all the electrics off the donor car too.

TT kits occasionally come up second hand though, so keep your eyes peeled!

Cheers Kev, I have read that the turbo conversion is wicked if its set up right and do fancy the idea but wonder if its cost effective against the VR6 install, as this project is only in the pipeline i will have to do some thinking...

Yeah it is a very good engine. Mine felt like it had come out of the factory like that and was totally reliable and easy to drive. I got it up to about 220bhp by playing around with water injection and stuff and it really shifted as MK2s only weigh 980Kg. A VR6 will be less money to buy and install but it's a very expensive engine to tune and you'll soon get bored of 190 bhp!

Joby - stealth have stopped doing the conversion as far as i know - well thats what they told me a year ago anyway!

Yeah they have indeed. Forgot to mention that! The main reason being Turbo Technics don't supply the kits anymore, so s/hand is the only option. EIP do some 16V Turbo kits though I think.

Yeeh baby just got home and im rather drunk i think ill have 2 of them 24 vALVE jobbies one in the front and one in the back............. why not

kev how do you think the 24v conversion is cheaper than the 20v turbo?

I honestly dont think they are, the 24v's are harder to find and thus cost more, plus Jobys car would be setup for a 4 cylinder motor ie gearbox engine mounts etc, to put a 24v valve in he would probablies need to either find the fron tend of a VR to rob the gear box and other parts from, or weld in the mk4 engine mounts and gearbox stabiliser.

Both engines have some serious wiring issues to get them to run, and I suppose the 20v needs the boost piping setup too...

ah who knows...

Yeah that's true, I forgot it's a valver.

A 24V is cheaper than a 1.8T because the latter is still in demand, the 24V isn't really. In terms of overall cost, it would be cheaper to drop a 24V in place of a VR as rebuilding a VR is expensive! If you get the ECU and engine loom from the 4Motion, what wiring headaches are there? I'm not questioning you as you've done it, just interested as I'm planning to do a 24V conversion soon.

the wiring for the 24v motor is immense - the ecu is a lot cleverer than the old vr one, and its not just a case of simply splicing the wiring in, it has multiple powersupplies all relayed and fused powering the fuse board.

I agree the 20v turbo is the more sought after engine, but there are not many 24v v6 motors about, as there werent a million v6 4motions sold due to the high price and they would have to be serverely damaged to be written off at this age in their lives. Its funny that the 20v turbo has all the kudos but I know which motor I would rather have given the choice

I know a man who can do the wiring if you get stuck :D I wouldnt like to try it on my own.

are you planning a 24v conversion on your car then kev?