Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

What do I need to know about fitting my new Lamder tomorrow

Hi again all

Fitting a new lamder tomorrow to hopefully resolve fuel consumption problems. Is there anything I need to know or is it just a straight forward swop?

Thanks in advance

Oakley

Aye, don't put your fingers on the probe tip and wear rubber gloves when fitting it. They're quite sensitive.

It is straight forward but make sure you don't twist the wires round on themselves as you screw it in.

in fact, I am changing the brake pads all round as well, I assume they are no different to any other car right? I hope so!

brakes are pretty much the same as every other car to change... 8) Watch out for the allen head bolts on the rear calipers though, they have a habbit of growing in and being an utter bitch to remove... :|

Lambda wiring gets a bit brittle with age, so be careful with the car's wiring when changing it...

Watch out for the allen head bolts on the rear calipers though, they have a habbit of growing in and being an utter b**** to remove... :|

Plus Gas, great stuff. :)

what on earth is a windback tool. I know from past experience to use a crowbar to push this big "spring affect" thing back into place. what does the windback tool look like and how much does it cost?

the rear caliper pistons wind out as the pads wear,you will need to wind it back it,ive used a pair of pipe grips before now

Don't use pipe grips, you'll gouge the surface of the piston and damage the rubber dust seal. The caliper will then be much more susceptible to seizing up

The piston needs to be wound back down a thread, (conventional right-hand thread) into the caliper; there is a slot or a pair of holes in the face of the piston into which the pressure plate of the winding tool engages as it is turned. It is quite stiff to turn the winder unless you release the hydraulic pressure by undoing the bleed nipple and directing the fluid through a tube into a jar. You really need two pairs of hands, one to hold the caliper without straining the flexible hose and the other to turn the winder.

The winder, made by Sykes Pickavant, is about £20 from Halfrauds; make sure you get the right pressure plate with projections to match your particular piston slot arrangement ; there are all sorts. There's a universal kit but it's a lot more expensive.

Once the new pads are in place, offer up the caliper and nip it up using the old bolts. Check that the clearance between the backing plate of the pad and the piston is approx. 1 millimetre (obviously with the handbrake fully off!!!), and adjust if necessary. When you have at last reached correct adjustment, after about 5 goes and much swearing, bolt it all back to full tightness using the new bolts. Reconnect the handbrake cables and then stand on the brake pedal a few dozen times; all this procedure is to set the handbrake adjustment.

There is a real possibility that you will find one or other or both calipers are seized up if they are the original cast iron items, so be prepared to get new ones. The demon tweak is to use Mk 3 Golf alloy calipers, and I believe you need to use matching flexible pipes with these (I'm at the ragged edge of my knowledge here and welcome any alteration to this information).

It's amazing what a difference this all makes to the braking, especially the handbrake operation. Of course it's even better if you replace the discs at the same time, and the hub bearings, and the ABS rotors...........

Best wishes

RB