Sign in to follow this  
duke

cutting out.. overheating?

hello all members of the forum.

Im a new c owner who loves my new toy but have a problem which I hope one of you more experienced owners can help me with.

here go,s.

I have a 1990 1800 16valve non super charger model. when im stuck in traffic for a bit and the temperature starts to rise a little ( not to high ) everything seems fine but when i switch engine off and try to start again within a few minutes nothing happens and it just wont even turn over(like a battery not even connected). but if i leave for 10 minutes to cool down then she will start first time. Is this cut out some kind of safety device to stop engine blowing because if I dont turn off the in the 1'st place it doesn't cut itself out.why is it doing this?

The fan works fine and the temperature guage isn't rising too much although the MFA is always giving me a reading which is 15 to 20dg's highing than the temp guage, could this be part of prob?

Hope someone understands my giberish..

If it's not turning over, it can only really be the ign switch or the starter motor. The ign switch is a common failure on Corrados. Do a search and read all about it.

Gavin

cheers fella's i'll look over old prob pages an check symptoms fully.

does anyone eles's mfa tell them a different temperature reading compared to the actual temperature guage?

If not i'll have to get a test to find out which one is reading the best.

Apart from that what a fantastic motor, not the cheapest motor in the world but I reakon its well worth it.

uh your over heating during traffic is normal if you mean that it barely climbs if it goes a notch or more then you either need a new fan, or a radiator, also make sure that you have no pockets and check the POS plastic flanges on the head for water leakage. good luck, buy an ignition switch, the contact relay heats up and breaks the contact, when it cools the metal reforms, check to see if your key is hot after driving it for a while. remember when you change the ignition switch Drill the hole into the lock housing straight and exactly at 12mm from the key slot. good luck mate