Sign in to follow this  
fla

auto box whine

Bit of a weird one this. The car's been standing for a while, and i took it for a spin on some open roads. On kickdown it drops down but then almost immediately changes up again with a slight whine or wheeze after the changeup. I let the engine temp get up to about 90 or so before giving it some welly. It also feels a bit sluggish. Dont know if it just needs loosening up again because of being stationary for so long in the damp weather? Would welcome any ideas. Thanks

Oil last changed about 500 miles ago (service) and the car has done 50k. Its not the torque limiter is it?

Get it checked with VAG-COM for error codes, sorry to say this but you could be in for a world of hurt. :cry:

Ask STORM, he's had some "experiences" with a VR6 Auto. :mad:

Stevemac, no probs before the service, just since its been standing for a while. Just wondering if the kickdown cable might need adjusting. Meanwhile, is there anyone in the Middx area with VAGCOM? I've just downloaded the shareware version but of course i'll need the leads. Is this version of any use?

Most VW speciallists will have VAG-COM & I doubt they'd charge much just to scan for error codes. Maybe just a case of re-setting the ECU. This can be done without VAG-COM.

If it was okay before it was stood, I doubt anything will need adjusting. Mechanically, the car will now be just as it was before it was parked up.

ECU re-set may well solve your problems & as it's free, it sounds like a good place to start.

If the car has issues when it has reached its normal operating temp, then you know you have a problem. I'm not a mechanic but having an ex-auto I tend to get a few PM's on this. VAG com is the 1st step. Diagnosis isnt easy, finding someone who knows what they are doing is equally difficult. May be worth trying Geartech, if it needs a rebuild they have a very good rep. Expensive though.

How many miles has it done?

GearTech http://thegearboxshop.co.uk/about.html

Cheers for that Storm. Car's only done 50k (verified) with two previous owners (one was a doctor) so presuambly it wasnt thrashed senseless. I picked up the car about 2 months back and had it serviced immediately. Generally everything seemed okay and it ran perfectly until a few weeks back when it rained like shite.

Did you ever adjust (or get adjusted) the kickdown cables, and if so whereabouts are they? I need to get it on VAG COM soon but as its not starting I'll probably need someone in the the area to come over. Kebab tokens waiting- i dont do beers!

Thanks for pinging me here. What a revelation - I didn't know of this site's existence.

History time. Auto trans lost all drive late 2001. Gear fault (have it here on my shelf) Rebuilt by Sussex Auto's under warranty. ATF loss last year - traced to crack in torque convertor, which only showed up at working temp. Warranty Co refused to repair - they have now ceased trading! Last few weeks, started to change up too soon, or refuse to kickdown. Yesterday refused to pull away (like clutch slip on manual), but treated it gently and got home okay. Mechanic pal sniffed ATF dipstick, said fluid smells burnt. Diagnosed "band slip", so now I'm looking for a replacement box as it appears this one is sha**ed. Car is regularly serviced, and has done 120k miles. Still love it tho' !!

Once the box goes you're far better off going for a manual conversion.

These boxes are like hens teeth. I managed to get one on E-Bay last month for £225 delivered.

The guy had tried to auction it 5 times and had zero bids every time!

Usual rule applies...

When you have parts gathering dust, no one wants them. When you don't have them, everyone wants them.

I can sell you my old box if you like, it needs refurbed but perhaps you could make one good box out of two or if your car is still driving you could send off the spare one for rebuild.

I managed to track one guy down in AMerica that seemed knowledgable on the VW 096 Auto Transmission. He was a great help, although in the end the box was shagged. See if you can contact him here....

http://www.eclubvw.com/forums/showthrea ... 8#post3538

How's your conversion going Storm

Rang the Gearbox Shop, £895 +vat for a box fitted with 1yr 12,000mile warranty. :roll:

Sounds reasonable. (Ring VW and see what they quote!) :shock:

Mike,

Sent a note to their forum - meanwhile I'm getting that sinking feeling...hope its something simple, otherwise i may be looking at a manual conversion. even that is going to be major bucks at the mo...Once I get the car to start(!!!!!) I'll get it checked on VAGCOM.

I've yet to drive a working VR6 auto. (mine's still away getting the new box fitted)

They would need to be pretty damn good to be worth all this hassle!

Thankfully I've got my manual VR to bomb about in normally.

Depending on how straightforward the conversion is, I'd say scrap the Auto and throw a manual in.

The box and ancillaries from a VR6 Passat or Golf are the same.

Storm might be able to give you tips on a conversion, think he was going to do a Guide once his is complete.

Can't believe they ever made a VR Auto to begin with, crazy Germans!

Storm - guide up and ready yet? Budget? As Mike says, is it straightforward?

TBH Mike, when I got the car the Auto was very good, surprisingly, but i find it bizarre that you have to pay a premium for it over a manual if it is so crap.

Does anybody know who actually makes the VR6 auto gearbox? I can't believe that VW would actually make it. Borg Warner? Getrag? Any ideas?

Mike VR6 - I may be interested. How do I contact you? I'm new to this forum lark. Do we exchange e-mail addresses. Excuse my newness :?

Thanks for pinging me here. What a revelation - I didn't know of this site's existence.

History time. Auto trans lost all drive late 2001. Gear fault (have it here on my shelf) Rebuilt by Sussex Auto's under warranty. ATF loss last year - traced to crack in torque convertor, which only showed up at working temp. Warranty Co refused to repair - they have now ceased trading! Last few weeks, started to change up too soon, or refuse to kickdown. Yesterday refused to pull away (like clutch slip on manual), but treated it gently and got home okay. Mechanic pal sniffed ATF dipstick, said fluid smells burnt. Diagnosed "band slip", so now I'm looking for a replacement box as it appears this one is sha**ed. Car is regularly serviced, and has done 120k miles. Still love it tho' !!

Welcome aboard. I sold my auto this summer for £140 what a bargain! Be very careful when buying a secondhand box, make sure you know why its been removed, they have a shelf life dontya know. :)

The Auto gearbox has a separate ECU.

Theres a reset procedure for this ECU, after following it my Auto would run OK for a few miles.

1/ Gearstick in park position

2/ Put key in ignition

3/ Push throttle pedal to the max and hold

4/ Turn key to the position just prior to starting (all lights on dash on)

5/ Release throttle after 30 seconds

This procedure was a bit hit and miss. I found it easier to use VAGCOM to reset the box. Worth a try though.

Southam2023

You can contact me via Personal Mail on the forum. Simply click the "PM" button under my first post in this thread.

It doesn't email me directly, just leaves a message in my inbox on the Forum.

The same box is in Renault Espace V6, think is has the code AG something in Renault circles.

Not sure who makes the box itself, it may well be an inhouse VW design.