Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Switch colour changes

I know that there are a few threads on this, but I've got K-reg 2.0l 16v with the early switches, and the dash switches have little clear bulbs in them. Can these be changed for LEDS if I remove the green filter? I'm guessing that the bulbs are 12volt as well, is that the case? If I can't change the bulbs for LEDS, can I use the later switches without butchering the wiring behind the dash?

IIRC all the later switches are different sizes/dimensions to the earlier ones especially the heated rear window one :wink:

Cant say too much about the old switches but I'm gradually changing all the bulbs in my dash (94 VR) to blue leds which I got from Ultraleds. Most switches provide 5V so you can simply desolder the bulbs and replace with the colour of your choice. Some are actually 12V and I blew a couple of leds as I don't have a local power source handy. If you've got a meter then fine, otherwise open the switch, clip into dash and manually hold the leds across the terminals to check which way round to fit it. The guy at Ultra sent me the appropriate resistors to allow the leds to be used with 12V - give him a call he's quite helpful.

Best bet is to count how many you need (most switch leds are 3mm, with the dash ones 5mm) and double them to be safe otherwise you'll end up short. It takes about 30mins per switch but the effect is, well, leagues better. I've put filters in my clocks but the colour is crap - LEDS mate is the best way to go.

HTH

Sound. I'll order them today I think. 8)

I want to have a go at backlighting my clocks myself, does anyone know how DDI do it? Can't afford theirs until after Xmas really :(

depends on how far u want to go. There are 3 for the dash, one each for each digital display, then one for each elec window switch, fog lights, rear demister (these actaully have 2 - one for the switch and one to show its on) main lights, heated seat, elec mirror control. Count them up and you've got your total. Bear in mind you'll lose a few on the way, so you need spares. Just order 20 3mm leds and 10 5mm bulbs and you wont be far out.

Best of luck.

Done mine! 8)

The only advise I can give is get leds with built in resistance! I originally ordered led from ultraleds.com, which required a resister in line to bring it down to 12v. In the switches I've got (early style) there was no room to fit the resistor in, so I then order 12v resister from Maplin, which did the trick. You don't need leds for the clocks, all you do is replace the filter from green to red. I used a red plastic folder that I got from Viking Office Supplies, cut to size. I got the how to do that off a Canadian Corrado website, as it's a bit tricky to take the clocks apart. :)

Finally you've got the heater controls. They were the worst thing to do. :( You have to scrape off the green layer of filter on the legends, and then put a peice of red filter in its place.

Looks really good, and it cost me about £10 and about 3hours work, after all the buggering about with the wrong leds. 8) 8)

i did the conversion in my early style corrado 16v...i used a blue led behind the heater section and used wet and dry 1000grade to carefully scrape off the green filter from behind the slider control film. I also put 3mm blue led's and inline resisters into osram twist bulbs and got rid fo the green filters behind the MFA LCD's and at the top of the clocks altogether.

Ultraled's does these osram bulb holders with the led colour of your choice already in them...so straight swap once you get the green filter paper out.

These are some shots from last year in the gallery section: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4120

and ultrled's site is: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

I've sort of started work on my new polo 16v now:

the mirror switch below is very similar to the later VR6 style...the same infact i think...and uses 4x 3mm led's wired in series...so each gets 3.5v's...so stick blue ones in and its a straight swap.

I used heat shrink from Rob at ultrled's too...which was used to cover the leg that i soldered the resistor to.

Mirror.jpg

Windows.jpg

Demist.jpg

Since the pics were taken...i have used frosted blue LED bulbs (they spread the light out) in the clock pod, red 12v 5mm led's behind the MFA LCDs.

And am using a Seat ibiza heater section in red (comes red on the ibiza's) and am working on changing the headlamp switch to blue when i get a spare to work on. :wink:

How do you take the switches apart to change the bulbs? Guessing VW will do me no favours with a cheap replacement should i break one!!

Lee,

I'm doing the sameto my car and its a real PITA to take some of the switches apart. Once you've taken them out of the dash/door etc get a jewellers screwdriver to carefully prise them apart from the sides - actually you attack them from the underside of the switch. The upper portion then just slides out, but be careful just in case you have anything trapped. My experience with the window switches was that once they are open, and you can see the green led sitting on the top, firstly note the direction of fit and then cut the led off as close as possible to the bulb section. That way you have got enough of the remaining leg on which to attach the new led. For some unknown reason, leds for both driver and passenger switches refused to come out by desoldering the legs from the board. Weird.

The dash switches are easy, just solder a resistor onto one of the legs so that you can apply 12V to them and directly replace the bulbs as appropriate.

once this is done it really complements a nice dash colour well.

HTH and good luck - its well worth the effort.

Hasan

Sanj

How did you find the light dispersion with the leds as compared to the bulbs on the clock pod - I've just replace the bulbs with 5mm frosted leds but the illumination is no way bright enough. I've also used some foil on the reflection strip but that hasnt helped much either. BTW they are 6000mcd leds, also from Ultraleds.

The switches are perfect though (3mm 6000 mcd clear leds).

i'm having that same problem mate...i've just put up with it, as the other led's in the switches are doin my head in being so damn bright.

I think sooner or later i'll just buy a blue EL strip from somewhere and solder it to the metal contacts the bulbs touch...on the corrado its easier as you have the metal strips that run along the top, which with some effort (may need to sand the spots down, so the solder will stick to it).

I think a guy on the corrado club of canada did this..and was much brighter.

I didn't use the normal led's as this would create a spot of light either side of the clock pod and not look right.

I'm surprised your's isn't as bright though, cos you have three bulbs and i only have two. :|

on a seperate note...the older style joystick mirror control switch and the spoiler control switch under the steering column DO NOT light up...so leave them alone. or else you will break them for no reason....as someone found out. (not me :wink: )

put up a part # for the led's from maplins mate

also WHERES THE PICS :)

Sorry no digital camera GIXXERUK :(

Maplin Part number

CK48C - 12V 5mm Red Leds

No need to try and squeeze in a resistor with these....as I found out when trying to find somewhere in the switch for them :o

I got the 3mm window switch leds from Ultraleds.com (require a resistor, that is in fact already in the switches)

Hope this helps 8)

Don't forget your sunroof switch like I did! And it's a little trickier than the rest! :)

Don't forget your sunroof switch like I did! And it's a little trickier than the rest! :)

What? you mean the way it goes "PING!!!" and fires springs, balls and levers in all directions?!? :roll: :lol: Yup, I did mine too! ;) 8)

I'm also pretty certain that you CAN make the early spoiler switch light up with a 3mm LED if you want it to, but I've never been bothered to try...

So how do you get bright light on the clocks, as Dubbprince also has the same prob? Ultraleds do some 10000 mcd screwfit leds but i just wonder if these will have the proper illumination that you need. I'm gonna try Oichans method, but later in the year when I've sorted the remaining issues, but I'd welcome some comments in the meantime. Is 6000mcd too low?

Try some ultra wide angle LEDs with the highest MCD you can get. And I would use a high intensity wide angle white LED with an appropriate filter colour personally.

Do the LEDs dim properly when using the headlight switch dimmer resistor (12V to 8V)? Unlike bulbs, LEDs will keep drawing current until they blow, so a current limiting resistor is required but that might affect they way they dim.

You need to be looking at road sign and tail lamp approved intensity LEDs which are several thousand more MCD than you get on ultraleds....and they're not cheap. You need a minimum of 60 degree dispersion angle to get a proper light spread.

I can't remember the URL for department of transport and vehicle grade LEDs unfortunately.

I can't remember the URL for department of transport and vehicle grade LEDs unfortunately.

Very disapointing. Your slipping Kev :lol:

I just used a some red filter.......works a treat. No need to use LEDs on your clocks if you want red.

Maplin Part number

CK48C - 12V 5mm Red Leds

No need to try and squeeze in a resistor with these....as I found out when trying to find somewhere in the switch for them :o

I got the 3mm window switch leds from Ultraleds.com (require a resistor, that is in fact already in the switches)

Hope this helps 8)

Maplin also do 3mm LED's with the built in resistor:

CJ66W

18p each.

Also there is CJ70M, can't work out the difference between these!

Hope this helps 8)

Maplin also do 3mm LED's with the built in resistor:

CJ66W

18p each.

Also there is CJ70M, can't work out the difference between these!

I ordered CJ70M's. Don't think they have a built in resistor but looks like theres two resistors on the pcb of the window switches so no need for built in ones.

I ordered CJ70M's. Don't think they have a built in resistor but looks like theres two resistors on the pcb of the window switches so no need for built in ones

You're not wrong! I changed mine as a matter of course, but I'm sure they are similar resistance to the ones supplied to me by Ultraleds anyway.