Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Rev Meter dipping sharply when accelerating

Hello All,

I've noticed when accelerating the rev counter dips sharply. I'm also suffering the car cutting out and slight hesitation when accelerating in lower gears.

Its recently had new plugs/leads/ dizzy cap and arm. I've also cleaned up the coil connections as someone suggested.

My battery is old, could this be the cause?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

1.8 16v

Dunno if it's related, but my VR rev counter did the same thing...... it used to drop to zero when moving and then flick up again intermittantly. I took the clocks out andfound a dry joint on one of the voltage regulator terminals (top right on the circuit foil - a black transistor). I resoldered it and it's been fine ever since.

Try that and see if it helps. Could be the battery but other things would be affected by that too...... worth replacing it with a chunky Bosch Silver if you suspect it's knackered. Might be worth replacing the brush pack in the alternator too... only about £15 from an autoelectrician or £20-£25 from the dealer.

I had a similar problem with my G60, turned out to be corrosion on the connector to the ECU in the plenum. Cleaned it and problem was solved.

Had exactly the same problems with my 2.0 16v.

My car had a flat spot, difficult to start, as well as the revs dropping sharply and the engine somtimes cutting out.

New distributor sorted it though.

Steve - the ECU is located in the scuttle tray area either centrally of off centre under the windscreen. I would assume that you just disconnect it and remove it and then clean the connectors. From what I understand they are a bit of a sod to remove though!