Sign in to follow this  
Jay_vr6

uneven acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, kangarooing motion

Hi,

Had a 95 vr6 corrado for about a month, just had a full service before i bought it and was running super fine. Now the thing keeps giving me trouble in first and second gear, the car judders something awful.

Now all i can think of is some dodgy petrol or maybe water or crap in the tank from where i ran the petrol abit low. Could it be anything else and what the hell should i do!!!

all help appreciated :)

My Corrado (16v) had running problems, which can be more noticable in the lower gears where the cars low momentum doesn't smooth things out.

Other symptoms (for me) included.

Problems starting.

Engine occaisionally cut out.

Revs die really low before recovering.

Flat spot.

Eventually traced to a dodgey distributor.

Might be worth checking yours out.

Dave.

95 VR6s don't have distributors.

I'm guessing that the "trouble in 1st and 2nd gear" is a red herring, you have to assume it's running rough in general.

Questions:

does it idle well?

does it pull well at full throttle?

does it pull well at part load?

When you say Judders, do you mean a judder relating to engine speed, or road speed? is it a judder you feel through the steering or the seat? is it noticeable in other gears, but much reduced? how does the engine behave off load? (i.e. in neutral if you rev it)?

it sounds like you have exactly the same prob as me!... first gear pull away and i have to ride the clutch to actually stop it from 'roo'ing and accelerate reeeeeaaally carefully, into second much the same effect but not as full on, and once in third its ok.. you can still feel the engine behaving strangely but goes ok, (i assume its there in all gears but you feel less at higher speeds). after changing the air filter (not for this reason) it became less noticable (red herring again maybe?) but its still there. ive been told so many different things (lamda, fuel pump, dizzy and even the choke) from different ppl im just more confused now..

seems to idle fine, pulls well at part load, full throttle not the best response tbh ill let you know anything i find out jay, but at the mo im stumped

p.s i beleive the judder jay is refering to is the kangaroo motion on pull away.. kind of like a learner driver pulling away for the first time(no jokes plz.. im sure we both know how to pull away properly)

I've just been through this very same problem and had been told it could be all sorts...changed the leads (a common fault - are they the originals, if so start with these), to no avail, then the coil pack (another common fault but expensive) and that made no difference. The fault was the spark plugs...i had paid for a full 20k service when i bought the car in June which should include plugs. Fact is, the garage didn't change the plugs as i found out last week and a new set was then fitted which has completely cured it!!! So start with plugs, then leads, then coil pack. If you're any where near Oxford I have my old coil pack which you could try and the leads which were fine to use as a process of elimination.

I got NGK ones from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk - free postage too - £26ish for 6. however, the garage snapped one in half when fitting and he recommended Bosch ones which have a thicker core. I only do low miles as it's a second car and have always heard good things about NGK so I still reckon thats your best bet.

Not wishing to scare anyone, but I had similar driving symptoms once in a transit van with a blown head gasket... Running on three cylinders makes the engine very juddery and prone to stalling..

But most likely it's just a spark problem.. ;)

1 litre of injector cleaner and the cars running almost perfect again, getting my mechanic friend to look at the spark plugs and leads tommorrow.

NGK plugs are also meant to be able to withstand the heat generated by the VR6 better than others :wink:

That's codswallop mate... who told you that? NGK are probably able to supply them cheaper to the dealers than other brands!

I've used Bosch plugs and not had any issues with those.... in fact they last longer than the NGKs :wink:

well the oil is only 400 miles old so I'm not sending it in to be re done, I've never had any probs with my other cars and dare I say the name I had a sweet tuned vauxhall astra and that was ok after a tank full of the stuff, but as you say it wouldn't hurt but as my cash is dwindling I'll leave it a while and see if anything occurs :)

NGK plugs are also meant to be able to withstand the heat generated by the VR6 better than others :wink:

That's codswallop mate... who told you that? NGK are probably able to supply them cheaper to the dealers than other brands!

I've used Bosch plugs and not had any issues with those.... in fact they last longer than the NGKs :wink:

thats what the CCGB tech guru told me matey :wink:.....so there :p :lol: :D :wink: